All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-12-2014, 05:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by german8rcoupe View Post
It is of course purely subjective but I think in that rendering that the body looks too "fat" for the wheel and tyre size.
Only my opinion obviously but it looks "old" instead of new to me.
Maybe it is the boattail cigar type shape making me think that.

Here is a 32 roadster with 20's and 18's on it in my shop just now for some size reference....

Hi Ross,

That's a great looking '32 you have in your shop. Great stance and those wheels are an interesting choice.

Thanks for checking out our build and sharing your thoughts.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-john View Post
Rick, you beat me to it.

Nick, hope you make it to the meet.
Definitely going to try. April/May/June is always a hectic time.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 AM

Ok, so here it goes.

Before the frame-table is set up, Steve is adding a few more staples to prevent the drawing from dipping.

Anytime we do custom work on a vehicle or in this case, create one from scratch, we work from this fully adjustable frame-table.

My Dad is applying new linear scales to the tops of the longitudinal rail surfaces. It's a simple, yet very effective means of ensuring that everything remains true to the scaled build drawing on the wall as well as from side to side.

Fabrication begins. The rails seen here aren't the roaster's actual frame members, but a foundation for the buck. We'll get to the real frame later...

Specific mounting points are being established.

Now we're ready to start bending the rod and flat bar.

Last edited by invision; 04-30-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:17 AM

Work began on our signature style 'exterior/interior' wire-frame buck for the roadster. When I design and we fabricate them, it's done in such a way that it allows us to create and assemble exterior panels in conjunction with the interior structure...or vice versa.

Steve experiences first hand that much of the bending is done by hand.

Comparing the curves for rear 1/4's hoops.

Hoops tacked in place to indicate the body's extremities over the rear wheels.

Rockers taking shape.

Establishing the front area where the nose will meet the sides.

Checking the elevations of the cutline risers for the doors and engine sides with a temporary shoulder line.

Bending flat bar vertically without twisting or puckering can get a little tricky. It’s started by hand for a more natural curve and then tightened up with a hammer as needed.

Things are shaping up. Stepped back across the shop to check the body's flow.

With the shoulder lines looking 'right', the rear lines are created.

One Speedster buck... done. Now it's onto shaping some panels.

Thanks for looking.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Here we go with the body panels...

Created a full 8' length rocker template and transferring it onto sheet metal.

My Dad Vic starting to shape(bend) the full length driver’s side rocker.

Replacing the rubber wheel with the steel one and a few passes later, the rocker is starting to take some shape. However, you can see from the buckles that we have a little ways to go.

Some more stretching and shrinking in the wheel takes care of the buckles. Yeap! For those not too familiar with the english wheel, it can be used to shrink metal too. Fun stuff! Now it’s time to mark and tip the flanges.

Passenger’s side rocker panel shaped and ready for the flange tipping process.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June '15

So, how can I shrink with an english wheel?
I would really be interested in this information!!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:52 AM

After a panel has some shape it gains a lot of strength. So if in the surface of the shaped panel one finds a high spot, a bubble, blister or whatever, you can roll the bump down. This is effect shrinking. It only works because the material in the panel around the high spot resists movement. It is a technique used in final wash over of a nearly complete panel. The same sort of shrinking can be done with a slapper. It is somewhat the same procedure with the donut dolly.

Don't get too excited, it is not going to change your life or eliminate the usual shrinking methods. it is a finishing technique, of a roughing procedure.

Shrinking is something new Metalshapers get all excited about. That is understandable as it seems a way to impart a significant change into the shape of metal, such as making a bowl or some scoop shape. In reality as skills progress and one gets involved in a project the need for huge amounts of shrinking diminishes. In forming a total part that actually fits something, shrinking is only a small part of the job.

Notice that Nick and his father are doing very complex projects with a minimum amount of equipment and a maximum amount of skills and experience. They have developed skills doing work and observing results.

Last edited by Richard K; 03-17-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard K View Post
After a panel has some shape it gains a lot of strength. So if in the surface of the shaped panel one finds a high spot, a bubble, blister or whatever, you can roll the bump down. This is effect shrinking. It only works because the material in the panel around the high spot resists movement. It is a technique used in final wash over of a nearly complete panel. The same sort of shrinking can be done with a slapper. It is somewhat the same procedure with the donut dolly.

Don't get too excited, it is not going to change your life or eliminate the usual shrinking methods. it is a finishing technique, of a roughing procedure.

Shrinking is something new Metalshapers get all excited about. That is understandable as it seems a way to impart a significant change into the shape of metal, such as making a bowl or some scoop shape. In reality as skills progress and one gets involved in a project the need for huge amounts of shrinking diminishes. In forming a total part that actually fits something, shrinking is only a small part of the job.

Notice that Nick and his father are doing very complex projects with a minimum amount of equipment and a maximum amount of skills and experience. They have developed skills doing work and observing results.
Ah, I understand! Thanks Richard
Old 03-17-2014, 12:11 PM

Hey Richard, Thanks very much for the kind words as well as taking a moment to step in and explain the reference I made earlier about ewheel shrinking.

As you mentioned, it doesn't replace stump, tuck and other shrinking procedures, but usually shrink enough to correct the panel's curvature so that the reflections will translate correctly along the body's surface.

Axel, next opportunity I find, I'll post the grill shell's fab process that will show some tuck shrinking.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM

Here's some progress on the roadster's grill shell.

Metal blank is loosely bent over the buck. We have a ways to go before she fits the buck

First series of tucks are created and hammered out… mashing the metal into itself essentially decreasing the length of the rear edge.

A second more aggressive series of tucks are created. The panel looks pretty rough and mangled at this stage.

Tucks are all hammered out again and planished in the wheel. The shell is looking a little more like a shell.

Things are really starting to take shape. Excess material is trimmed way and the inner edge marked and rolled.