All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM

Default 56 ford pickup hood

Hello fellow members new to metal shaping working on a 56 ford pickup with a friend my problem is we have the hood fitting nicely everywhere but at the top where it meets the cowl. It has excessive metal across the top I don't not have any pictures at this time but I can get some. I was looking for some ideas on how to shrink it without cutting out the excessive metal. the metal across the back of the hood looks like you could surf across it because it is so out of form. I will try to get some pics and get them posted
Old 03-18-2017, 10:46 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS1957 View Post
Hello fellow members new to metal shaping working on a 56 ford pickup with a friend my problem is we have the hood fitting nicely everywhere but at the top where it meets the cowl. It has excessive metal across the top I don't not have any pictures at this time but I can get some. I was looking for some ideas on how to shrink it without cutting out the excessive metal. the metal across the back of the hood looks like you could surf across it because it is so out of form. I will try to get some pics and get them posted
There are two big rivets back there, securing the skin to the former. If the former is out of shape, then the hood has to follow it. If no rivets but spot welds, then it's an earlier hood, but same problem happens.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 PM

Yes I forgot about that someone has welded the bolts from the top so my thought was if I cut the spot welds of the bracket that goes to the inner support I could work the back of the hood around and shrink it. Also forgot to mention it has been made to slide forward and tilt with a hood kit I do not know who's kit it is. Any ideas where to go with this
Old 03-24-2017, 05:40 PM

I have finally taken a picture of the back of the hood to the cowl. I cut the spot welds that held the bracket to the hood support that used to adjust the crown and everything just start to flow together worked some of the low spots out and worked the rear lip and it is looking nice forgot to take a picture of the finished product but it is ready for primer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170324_090303[1086].jpg (44.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I have finally taken a picture of the back of the hood to the cowl. I cut the spot welds that held the bracket to the hood support that used to adjust the crown and everything just start to flow together worked some of the low spots out and worked the rear lip and it is looking nice forgot to take a picture of the finished product but it is ready for primer.
Hi Rich,
See, it's a good thing you looked at the structure before jumping in ....
So many times what "appears to be" is much different from "actually,"
and poking around and loosening things up will solve the actual problems.
Good for you.

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:26 PM

Kent thank you for the info about that problem area I probably would have had a big mess sectioning that hood
Old 03-25-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Kent thank you for the info about that problem area I probably would have had a big mess sectioning that hood
Oh dear you are lucky - I have heard the sagas, seen the results and I have had to repair the results.... Good lad.