All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Default Stumps?

I took a walk to see how bad some friends got hit down the dirt road across the street. There was enough cut up oak stumps to supply a bunch of metalshapers. Most two foot diameter and some 3-4 foot or more. I might even gather up a few. I can always burn them in my fireplace or mount some tuckpucks on them. The biggest one is less than 100 yards away. It spent a couple of days blocking the street. Then a few hundred feet another one and on and on. Fortunately none in my yard. Sad to see these big oaks come down. Some snapped and some just blown over.
Anyone in need of a stump within driving distance?
The power crews just left and I finally have electricity that didn't come from my stinky diesel generator. Most of the crews are from Kentucky and Ohio and a lot of locals. I met some really nice folks working these lines. My pole out front snapped a day after the hurricane just from line tension on one side only. They really threw some resources into restoring power on my street. Bucket trucks and pickups everywhere. "Three phase lines are king" is what the foreman told me. Other folks will have a wait before getting power.
I got to meet some neighbors up the street, so that was a really positive outcome. Anyway, seriously , if you need a fresh oak stump and are in driving distance of north of Ocala,FL, I know some that are readily available. Of course if you are in driving distance you may already have a fresh source of your own.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

I don't need another stump but am glad to hear you're ok, Carey. I'm sure I'm not the only one here wondering how folks on AMS fared in the recent rough weather with Irma and Harvey.

Last edited by cliffrod; 09-14-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-15-2017, 02:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

Carey, thanks for the offer and glad to hear you are ok.

We are in NE Orlando and ok.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:51 AM

I was wondering how you made out. We do have a few folks here in Florida that I have concerns for their well being. The storm was huge so everyone in Florida got hit. I sat up all night with the stinking diesel generator running watching weather radar on my computer before the phone service dropped out the next day.
The line crews said that they were headed south in the state when they have completed this area to help out the crews down there,. For a day or two we were disconnected from the world. A lot of folks still have no electricity. No phone/dsl service, cell phone service was lost and just has come back on line sometime early this morning. And we couldn't get off the property with the top half of the service pole dangling in our driveway. Finally at the end of the next day, a service truck finally came by and cut the wires and dropped the pole. I offered to move the pole and crossbar with my skidsteer. They told me to put it anywhere out of the way. There was no electricity for miles. I could hear the drone of generators coming from everywhere. The Winn-Dixie grocery store(about 5-6 miles from here) remains closed. What do they do with all of the spoiled meat and frozen products and milk products? That has got to be a stinking mess.
But life goes on and it was great to see neighbors pitching in to try to make the road passable ( a man totaled his pickup on one of those trees going to work in the dark of the morning) . I am out in the country and most everyone has some type of equipment to deal with these things. Eventually a frontend loader came along and pushed the trees out of the road, allowing the linemen to get their equipment in to start rebuilding the power grid. I spent most of my time hanging out with the line crews. I enjoyed that part of it. Good Times! The line foreman remembered me from 2004.
I might take my skid steer down today and gather a few properly cut stumps to hammer on. I wish that I had a portable saw mill for the longer stumps.
I am glad that you are OK.

www.tuckpuck.com
Old 09-15-2017, 06:09 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

I am sorry to hear all of that, but I am glad you are ok. The schools have been closed and some of the people had to be given time off to take care of the kids. Things are starting to get back to normal around here, the area was lucky, but there are still lots of people with out basic services. A truly incredible storm system.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM

I was truly blessed. I can still hear chainsaws running. I didn't need mine. I have four or five oak trees tall enough to take out the house. All intact. The power on my street and the line that the neighbor behind me and I share, was repaired very quickly. The last time I was weeks without power while ALL of my neighbors had it. So, I am surprised and extreme grateful for how things worked out for me in every respect. Different power company, different outcome.

www.tuckpuck.com