All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-16-2017, 11:15 PM

Default Body filler question?

Hi Group,

I'm new to auto Restoration and metal work. I'm working on a solid car with small dents or patches and will be using body filler for areas that Iv'e worked out as much as I feel possible but thin in all cases.

The question is the ratio of filler to catalyst, The container says 2% by weight, but when a gallon comes with a tube of toothpaste sized catalyst I'm a bit confused as to how much for smaller amounts of filler to catalyst measurements should be used?

I know a gallon is a lot but I figure I will be using it, removing it, and adding it again so maybe a gallon is appropriate. It was a good price too!

I look forward to any suggestions for a newbie.

PS. I'm using NAPA Crossfire since I need to use the same product line as the paint I will be using.

TX
Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 AM

Hi Chris.

General Golf ball to pea ratio normally works, if it goes off to fast reduce the pea.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2017, 09:08 PM

John that is something that I can get my head around. 2% was just more than this old brain could handle.

TX
Old 11-18-2017, 05:42 AM

Yeah they only need a sniff of hardener mixed well, maybe a little more in cooler weather should take about five minutes to gel, eight to ten to start using a surform file or course paper to rough shape it ,tip is to gradually work up the paper grit till you are almost there then finish with 180 grit most go to hard with the rougher grades and by the time the're up to the finer grades its either scratch free and too low (dug out) or flat and scratchy (no meat to remove scratch marks), finish with a orbital action straight sanding is hard for primers to fill I use a 3mm random orb palm sander to do this, don't go past 240 grit if using heavier primer/fillers they are ment to stick to slightly courser grades
hope this helps

Pat the panel beater