All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Default sand blaster issues

Bernt, My blaster has a valve on the down leg of the upper T where the air goes in. With this valve you can clean out or increase the sand flow by controlling the pressure to the lower valve. I never adjust the media flow at the bottom of the tank. It mine quits blowing sand I close the lower leg of the upper tee and let full pressure "push" the sand down then quickly open that valve and this will purge the clog. If you leave your pot open when not in use you could have critter or part of a bag plugging it up (ask me how I know). Hope this may help.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berntd View Post
Hey Jerry, I am hoping someone else has already encountered this and will let me know what the problem is or if it is finger trouble from my side.

I have to admit that I do not fully understand what you suggested.
There is a hose going down tha back of the pot and that meets the left arm on a T under the pot. The T's leg goes into the pot underside and the other arm is the output. There is also a valve in the T's leg to control sand flow.

Looks like this but with anopther valve in the tube going to the mixing valve.

I only use this pot ever few months and every time I get annoyed but then it is parked again untill next time because of more pressing things.

My mistake, I thought you had a siphon setup. I have a Haaba Fleight small box with the same issues that I had to tune up.
The crux is that you want 50% air and 50% sand, more or less. The trick is to get the sand into the air stream in just the right amount. Your mixing tee should have a valve that shuts the sand flow off when the air is shut off. That would stop the packing issue
Or, as some of the pros do, the sand comes out all the time, and they blow it over at the pile in the corner when they aren't blasting the work. That means the compressor runs constantly.

JR
Old 10-04-2017, 11:40 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

You may try a new or smaller orifice tip. They do wear fairly quickly.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:07 AM

If you shut the air off, restart and get a rush of media this indicates the hose is blocking, make sure your blast hose is straight as possible when blasting, even my big blaster will cause problems if tight bends as abrasive builds up in bends, if you must bend make as gradual as possible, for a small blast pot i would not use river sand, too course to flow,

What size air compressor have you, do you have a water trap fitted, remember to drain the compressor tank, I blast in hot climate 40c run an air drier and large water traps on drier and pot and still draw moisture, on a real shit day you can see a blue moisture stream coming from nozzle,

What brand pot do u have, will look it up

If it dosent work use a bigger hammer
Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 AM

War Horse said: "If it doesn't work use a bigger hammer"

Or a refrigerated air dryer.

When I opened my plant I "lucked into" a refrigerated air dryer. I almost thought it was a budget buster but when I got to using it, I was very happy, if not "proud". I used to almost force friends that came by to use the "dry" air to experience the "difference".

I was (silently?) disappointed, when one friend pointed out he did the same thing with a $25 refrigerator, a coil of copper pipe, and a cobbed up water trap.

[ Like a redneck beer cooler! ]

YMMV
Old 10-13-2017, 09:54 PM

I would like to see him use a $25 refrigerator and copper pipe here to remove moisture, wouldnt even keep the beer cold here, must be why dont drink beer

If it dosent work use a bigger hammer