All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Metalshaping videos on-line
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default Schelin Mini Jaguar Fender: Wow!

This is really a worthwhile video, even though it lasts 1 hr and 6 minutes. Many of us will be familiar with most of the techniques Wray uses to make the fender, but there are two sections that I think many will find helpful and enlightening. The first is near the beginning of the video where Wray shrinks the "hip" of the fender using only a shaped length of 2x4 and a mallet. I've always wondered how those "hips", common on 1950s sports cars, were made, and here you see it being done.
About half way through the video Wray has too much metal in the MIDDLE of the panel, and he gets rid of the excess through shrinking using only a mallet and tree stump... again, the middle of the panel.
This is my longest video since the Geoff Moss videos of last year, but you really get an understanding of the time and multitude of techniques it takes to create such a panel. I hope you find it as informative, and inspiring, as I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXtezrmK3M&feature=youtube_gdata
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Watched the video, wow! Lots of good information.
I'm curious how you know what needs stretching and shrinking from the flexible shape pattern?
I would love to learn how to do those things. Looks like it just takes practice.

Thanks for posting.

Dave
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Deyton View Post
Watched the video, wow! Lots of good information.
I'm curious how you know what needs stretching and shrinking from the flexible shape pattern?
I would love to learn how to do those things. Looks like it just takes practice.

Thanks for posting.

Dave
A FSP is a 3-D buck where, when it puffs up, shows you need stretching. When it is too tight, or won't fit, on your metal blank, shows you need shrinking. You can approximate this with simple paper patterns, but an FSP is remarkably precise.
Treat yourself to a 3 day class with Wray, and your metal skills will be greatly improved. Wray's classes last from 9 in the morning until midnight, and really give you time to hone your skills... as well as work on personal projects with Wray's input when needed.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the information, I would like to take some of those classes in the future. I learn so much just playing with metal in the shop. I know classes would jump metal work into high gear.

Always looking for a metal meet closer to home.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Administrator

I really enjoyed that.

When I first come to the metal shaping forums Wray had already left. I read all of his threads but a lot of the pictures were gone. Randy Ferguson who used all of Wrays principles was still pretty active at the time. I studied everything he posted and took what I learned and took it to the garage and practiced. I found how Wray and Randy approached panels intriguing for two reasons, they were both masters at what they did and the tools they used were all either cheap or could be built.

I use a lot of the same methods as was shown but picked up some tips while watching this video.

Lot of different approaches could have been took to complete this panel but as Joe Hartson always says" there are a lot of roads to Town"

Good stuff

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the link Bill. Good stuff going on in a short time.

Jere
Teaching The Fundamentals of Metal Shaping
www.jerekirkpatrick.com

All tools are a hammer except the chisel.....That's a screwdriver.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Thanks for posting that Bill. An enjoyable watch with lots to take in besides the metal shaping.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:47 PM

That brought back good memories.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Great videos, nice see the complete process along with all commentary,makes it come together.
I can see the uses for FSPs and how work, but he always goes back to original panel or buck to do the final check, so it seems a bit unnecessary to have FSP aswell unless you haven't got the panel.
He uses quite low crown anvils to acheive the curves, this probably were I've been going wrong, (lots of tracking lines) I will give Wrays methods of stump shrinking and wheeling a go, see if it works for me.

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxakarudy View Post
Great videos, nice see the complete process along with all commentary,makes it come together.
I can see the uses for FSPs and how work, but he always goes back to original panel or buck to do the final check, so it seems a bit unnecessary to have FSP aswell unless you haven't got the panel.
He uses quite low crown anvils to acheive the curves, this probably were I've been going wrong, (lots of tracking lines) I will give Wrays methods of stump shrinking and wheeling a go, see if it works for me.
In one of the other videos he shows how a buck will not show you the correct amount to shrink or stretch or the precise location. He seems to think it is a real advantage. When you go for a fit on a buck it is not always obvious how much shrink or stretch is required. With the FSP it is obvious. Anyway, he is the expert and I am sure he could explain that much better than me. I have actually never used one.