All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Default New 52" Shear

I've been looking for about a year for a good used shear without any luck. Seems like nobody close to me has any for sale. So I'm just going to buy a new one. I did alot of searches before posting this and couldn't find an answer. I know a Tennsmith is among the top of the line machine. But I was looking at the Grizzly Shear. Anyone here have one? I'm not a full production shop. Just a hobby really, evenings and weekends. Work with mostly 20 ga. , some 18 ga. rarely 16ga. Is there that big of difference between the grizzly $1495 shipped and Tennsmith $2550 shipped.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:25 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Rick, for even considering that amount of money I would hold off for a good used POWERED machine.

I borrowed a trailer, drove for 19 hours (each direction) and came home with a very capable 12 ga machine.

I've had severe ankle sprains over the years, and getting rid of that jump shear I had was among the best things I've done in the shop. I got a good deal on this (thanks Dan) but all this capability was about what you're looking at for that new Tennsmith Jump shear. IMO if you can't find a used jump shear for less than 750, put it towards a powered machine and save your joints..

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 09-19-2017, 06:38 AM

Rick: A couple of 52" powered shears have come up on the DFW craigslist lately. Pricing under 1600$ from what I remember.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 AM

Wow, 38 hours of driving. Must have been a heck of deal. I've been looking there's no doubt. Would love to have a air operated unit.
Seems like those deals are very few and far between. I haven't found any used shears for less than $1400. I've been using searchtempest for the craigslist stuff, you can search up to 1000 mile radius. Space is limited in my shop so Air assisted or manual is probably the only option.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:03 PM

Rick: Here are two that are close to me. Flower Mound is about 10 minutes away and the one in Dallas is about 45 minutes. The one in Flower Mound is hydraulic, while the other is manual.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tl...253802652.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tl...288607341.html

If I hadn't bought my Niagara a few months ago, I'd be all over the hydraulic one.

Craig
Old 09-20-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanks cvairwerks, I did see those. I'm thinking I'll just order me a brand new tennsmith. If just kinda makes sense to me. For just 4-500 dollars more I can get brand new and don't have to worry about do any repairs.

Last edited by RickE; 09-22-2017 at 10:03 AM.