All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM

There are some non scientific thoughts going on here with MIG welding.

I have successively welded with no gap, very high amperage settings, little buildup, and no peaking. I dont fuss around with grinding, i just get a bigger one.

Same rules and physics apply, when the puddle is in its molten state, outside stresses push toward the path of least resistance, the puddle, causing the shrinking. Same happens when using a shrinking disc.

The peaking happens when there is more material, more weld in a small area. Try putting less weld time into the panel. Turn up the machine, spend less time on the trigger.

When there is no gap, most people either dont turn the amperage setting up much, if at all. Now a welder has to stay on the trigger longer to get the same penetration as before without a gap. The key here is "more time on the trigger" adding more energy input, as well as more material. I do not know exactly what effect more material has other than being bad and more crap to grind, but i bet Someone has an answer.

Marty

Last edited by Marty Comstock; 07-07-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: more coherent thoughts to try and explain the differences