All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Need advice with my saddle bags

I hope you may be able help me save this project without remaking the side panel. I'm making a set of bags for the motorcycle from 20awg steel. I'm stuck at this point where I need to close the gap shown in the rear while keeping the rest of the shape. I've done some patch panels on the burb, but this is my first real shaping project, so there's a huge learning curve on using the tools, step order and the affects each has. I have an e-wheel, bead roller, shrinker/stretcher, hammer/dollies, and a mig welder for the task.

First lesson learned was to prestretch the beaded areas and bead inside to out. The bottom warped from not doing either. I assume I should have stretched the flame edges too. I tried to stretch the top side and shrink the lip to move that area towards the rear face, but it moved the bottom edge away. I was able to undo it, but not sure how to proceed.

Anyway, any help you can provide is appreciated.
Bill

rear_corner.jpg

outside.jpg

inside.jpg

burb_bike.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-18-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwinger View Post
I hope you may be able help me save this project without remaking the side panel. I'm making a set of bags for the motorcycle from 20awg steel. I'm stuck at this point where I need to close the gap shown in the rear while keeping the rest of the shape. I've done some patch panels on the burb, but this is my first real shaping project, so there's a huge learning curve on using the tools, step order and the affects each has. I have an e-wheel, bead roller, shrinker/stretcher, hammer/dollies, and a mig welder for the task.

First lesson learned was to prestretch the beaded areas and bead inside to out. The bottom warped from not doing either. I assume I should have stretched the flame edges too. I tried to stretch the top side and shrink the lip to move that area towards the rear face, but it moved the bottom edge away. I was able to undo it, but not sure how to proceed.

Anyway, any help you can provide is appreciated.
Bill

Attachment 41343

Attachment 41344

Attachment 41345

Attachment 41346
Hi Bill,
Take a point on that flanged curve about 2in up from bottom at rear, mark with black pen/tape/whatever.
Now, go to where the highlight in the photo is and mark a point ahead of the center of that bright spot, 3/4 from rear, and mark that.

Now stretch your flange with hammer and dolly between those points, tapering the stretch to nothing at the ends. The center of this length should move towards your goal, and you adjust as you go.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Hi Bill,
Take a point on that flanged curve about 2in up from bottom at rear, mark with black pen/tape/whatever.
Now, go to where the highlight in the photo is and mark a point ahead of the center of that bright spot, 3/4 from rear, and mark that.

Now stretch your flange with hammer and dolly between those points, tapering the stretch to nothing at the ends. The center of this length should move towards your goal, and you adjust as you go.
Thanks Kent. I assume the stretcher will work too. I'm better with it than hammer/dolly. How will the bottom edge (unflanged) react if any?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwinger View Post
Thanks Kent. I assume the stretcher will work too. I'm better with it than hammer/dolly. How will the bottom edge (unflanged) react if any?
Bottom flange should hold steady, or drop a few deg.

Beware tearing metal with the grab / pull stretchers. Go gentle bumps and part way in - no big chomps.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Bottom flange should hold steady, or drop a few deg.

Beware tearing metal with the grab / pull stretchers. Go gentle bumps and part way in - no big chomps.
Thanks again