All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-15-2020, 01:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

That has been my point all along.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

The spartan aspect of your method is what I like so much about your work, Jack.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:07 PM

Beautiful work, coming together really nice.

Greg
Old 03-30-2020, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario428 View Post
I look at that series of pictures and it blows me away that such amazing panels can be made with the same tools I have in my shop. In awe of your talent Jack.
I'm in awe and I may have better tools (shaping wise) but not anywhere near the talent Jack has.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the support, guys. Taking care of some personal business lately and fighting off winter depression. The winters here really take a toll on my attitude. Spring is coming and I'm getting ready to get back to work. I have a lot of catching up to do. Back soon.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:23 AM

This is a little off topic but I have seen this discussed somewhere on this forum. A friend of mine has redesigned the mechanicals for the hide away headlights on a 67 Corvette and made all the required parts from wood and plastic. He needs to scan and put the data into a format that is compatible with a CNC Mill. What equipment and software is available to do this? The parts are 3D, so a typical program that would be used on a CNC router is no good. That's only 2D. Any input is appreciate.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:12 AM

Default CNC data

CAD and CAM systems can be crazy expensive. Not worth buying unless you are going to do a lot of it. A seat of Solidworks and MasterCam can run $20k (US) with all the add-ins.

Fusion 360 can be purchased monthly. Free trial is OK for learning but limited on usable output.

Scanners are available for rent. Also services are available to scan and put the data into a usable format. (STEP or IGES)
If you are just making one, there are old 3D tracing mills that can copy the wood parts in metal. Gorton is one brand. They are pretty cheap used since it is pretty labor intensive. Jewelers used to use them before CNC. Nice thing is that it can scale the work. Your wood models could be half scale.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:10 AM

Thanks, I think his best course would be to find an R&D type job shop and have them do it.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:39 PM

Scanning is an expensive part of it. That'll get you a file that you would need to import into a 3D cad program to generate a design that can be made using your chosen process. That program could be free Fusion 360 or a 50 dollar membership in EAA and get your free Solidworks with it. After that depending on the part complexity Fusion 360 has some add on's that could possibly generate the machine code. As far as router programs go good commercial programs like the one I use (Router-Cim) can take a nurbs file and generate the 3D code it needs for the machine. That really depends on the program but many do as it's quite common to 3 axis 3D mill on a router. I've played with it a little. Most of the big CAD programs today have capabilities for generation of generic code for machines but need post processors to match your machine for specific code that runs on your machine type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
This is a little off topic but I have seen this discussed somewhere on this forum. A friend of mine has redesigned the mechanicals for the hide away headlights on a 67 Corvette and made all the required parts from wood and plastic. He needs to scan and put the data into a format that is compatible with a CNC Mill. What equipment and software is available to do this? The parts are 3D, so a typical program that would be used on a CNC router is no good. That's only 2D. Any input is appreciate.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:46 PM

Jack,

Is there any rapid prototyping shops around him? These type places should have scanning equipment. If it’s to pricey to have it done by a shop and he’s comfortable with shipping the pieces I can accurately measure them and create them in 3D at work.

I make 3D models from measured parts frequently so this should be very doable.

Greg