All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Software for Metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-13-2017, 01:49 AM

Hi guys,
I have been working every option out there over the last year.

I paid a professional group in the SF bay to scan a 32 roadster with their 25K scanner and even though they promised it would be an easy job they couldn't nail the detail. In fact the quote went from $1100 to $3K after their first try. I did get to see the what they pulled from the first try and it was full of errors and would have taken another $2K in digital clean up.

Then I started looking at the iSense iPad scanner. The company no longer supports the software for the device rendering the scanner junk.

There is the identical scanner already mentioned in the thread. But after looking at the stats and calling their customer service I have been told that the scanner can be half an inch from accurate.

I then looked into Turbo Squid and the 3D models of cars for sale on this site. An experienced eye can see that the detail in these models is just not accurate.

So now i'm back to making bucks the old way and learning Fusion 360 in the hope I will connect the dots in the future some time soon.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the information.

I'm also in the process of learning Fusion 360. I'm hoping to be able to put together a model of a 32 roadster to build a buck. That way I can build one once I learn enough about shaping. As a newbie to shaping, that's a long way off.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:55 AM

Thanks mate. Yes I think ill go the old way too.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:55 AM

I might experiment with making bondo contours to transfer onto the MDF buck slices with detailed stuff. Then with long gentile contours use steel or aluminium angle. Its just as accurate I think if not more depending on software used with 3D scanning. Some times they have to tidy up the scan so who knows how far off it turns out????? But then 3D stuff is a bit beyond me

Last edited by Bart; 01-13-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:56 AM

I played with a point cloud in Rhino. To make a surface I had to take slices, then fair out the lumpiness of those slices, then create the surfave. It was a bit time consuming but it worked. I really like rhino and have used it for years to create geometry for my cnc router
Old 01-16-2017, 01:21 PM

Default scanner

has anyone used an Artec Spider scanner? I'm heading to Boston soon to demo one... A lot of positive reviews on this model and wonder how much
of a learning curve their is to scan. Ill be uploading my files into Unigraphics NX 11... whats the pros and cons of hand held scanners that you have used?