All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Default Asbestos in car body filler?

Does anyone know if asbestos was used in car body filler as a "bulking" agent? I'm talking about the early versions circa 1950, as around that time it got used for pretty much anything you could put it into
Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 PM

Default Really Nasty Fillers

If the filler was made before about 1978 good chance, If it was made somewhere other than the U.S.A. good chance. Either way it contains fiberglass resins. I worked around and in the resins at Douglas and the McDonnell Douglas Aircraft for eleven years. THey kept telling us is was harmless and maybe it is. Coal dust won't make your skin itch but resins will. I would work it outdoors (the sanding) in the shade to keep the shop clean. Wear a really good mask. When finished you want to take a shower with the water at room temp. Not hot or cold but room temp and rinse it all off real good before using any soap. A liquid soap or shampoo works best. I used to take a 20 min rinse when I got home each day. Then don't go under a "black light" for several days. You will look like twinkle dust. Fred26t
Old 06-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Oh s**t that wasn't what i wanted to read! Well the filler is factory applied on a mid 50's car made in the Czech republic, so your saying there is a good possibilty of having asbestos in. So far i purposely avoid grinding it, breaking it out where possible.
As for a mask yes i was wearing one but not good enough for asbestos, the thing that made me think this wasn't average filler was the colour and smell every time touched it with the grinder.

In light of what you say i think i will get it analysed, Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 AM

Default wire brush

Nothing will save you from this. But using a heavy duty cup wire brush is better than a grinder. The kind I am talking about looks like twisted wire.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Testing

It is fairly easy to have the dust tested for asbestos or lead, both could be in the dust.

The issue with both is that once made into dust, it can get everywhere and it's very difficult to get rid of. Sweep the shop, it's airborne. Use the air hose to clean up, it's airborne. Once contaminated, getting rid of it is difficult at best.

There are methods used when dealing with both, some include wetting and then collecting the run off.

If it's in chunks, not so bad. Once it gets into the air......

Lot's of info online.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Just put a respirator on an go. Even if you inhale a little be you're ~PROBABLY~ not going to die from it. It's an accumulative problem, the people that have issues from asbestos worked in industries where they were breathing in asbestos fibers daily for YEARS. Grinding out one car worth of asbestos laden filler isn't a death sentence.