All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-07-2016, 02:27 PM

Default First time and need guidance

This is really my first shaping project involving shrinking and wheeling. I have been lurking here for some time and learned a ton so far. I'm stuck now though. I have managed to crank out this one piece with a big ass twist/ oil can in it. I can't tell if it need shrinking on the radius side or streaching on the flat side. I have tried a bit of both but not sure which way to go. This will also be the first time I ever posted pics so here goes.
001.jpg

002.jpg
Buy American
Old 01-07-2016, 04:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Hi Guy by the look on your pic looks to me that you need to shrink more on the shoulder specially in the middle, then work your way towards the ends that will bring the top down on both sides as well ....then you can wheel the shoulder side way and finish it off till it fits well on the buck, has you do that you need to wheel the rest of the panel as well , wheel and finish off the top length ways, do little wheeling side ways on the top, wheel it side ways a little just to smooth things off
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 01-07-2016, 04:41 PM

Peter,
Thanks for the input. I have been studying your work in "Sheet Metal Fab For Car Builders". In fact I am basically trying to emulate your Lotus nose. This rear body is similar but more pointed on the narrow (rear) end. I'm trying to shrink the shoulder side with tuck and stump. I'm not sure how far to shrink into the radius though for fear of wrecking what I now have.
Picture to follow.
I wish you lived down the street from me....
Buy American
Old 01-07-2016, 05:11 PM

Picture of underside

inside rear piece 001.jpg
Buy American

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 01-07-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Guy
Your buck looks good & you have a good start on the panel.
one question where will you put your weld?
If you have extra metal that could be trimmed a little it would reduce the amount of material to shrink.
shrinking is more difficult, than stretching, so with that said go ahead and shrink as much as you think is needed or a little more. By the time you get it all smoothed out in the shrink area it will have stretched back some.

I would put the weld right in the middle of the radius because then only 1/2 of the shrink is on each panel, so you don't need to shrink as deep into the panels.
Just saw your new pic. If the radius should start at the solid line then the shrinks need to go that deep.
Steve

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 01-07-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:42 PM

As Steve posted above, putting half of the bends and shrinks in each panel (sides and top) and moving the weld joint to the middle of the radius will help make it simpler, it will also help in the welding/finishing by not having the weld on the flat part of the lower panel. The one place I would not weld on the corner is the lower rear "point", if it is as sharp as a Bugatti type 35 that you want it to resemble. If you make the rear "point" bend in one of the lower panels and move the weld joint away a little, you will be able to still work the metal and the weld.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM

Hey Steve,
Thanks for helping out here.
The welds will be in the center of the radius and where the two top panels meet right down the center. I think the buck will be ok....although I may have made it difficult to clamp in places.
The sharpie line is where the tangent of the radius and straight (flat) meet
If I understand correctly...I need to shrink into the radius all the way to the tangent ? I think I will be un-doing all the radius I now have.
When I made my pattern it didn't seem like it would need that much shrinking. The sharpie line is the weld line on the pattern. I allowed an extra inch there so I'll trim closer per your advice.
I am the student...you all are the teachers and thanks.
BP Spec, Charlie,Dolphin brakes 008.jpg

BP Special 001.jpg
Buy American
Old 01-07-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Francis View Post
As Steve posted above, putting half of the bends and shrinks in each panel (sides and top) and moving the weld joint to the middle of the radius will help make it simpler, it will also help in the welding/finishing by not having the weld on the flat part of the lower panel. The one place I would not weld on the corner is the lower rear "point", if it is as sharp as a Bugatti type 35 that you want it to resemble. If you make the rear "point" bend in one of the lower panels and move the weld joint away a little, you will be able to still work the metal and the weld.
Hi John,
I actually started trying to make the whole radius section in one piece yesterday. I got it pretty far then decided as you suggest to split it length wise.
I knew there would be some metal to scrap conversion....
I am trying to use the Bugatti 35 for inspiration as you guessed. My buck has the rear rounded off some not as pointy as the real thing.
A Bugatti with all Ford running gear and a Chevy engine...Blasphemy!
The intention is to vintage race it when done.
Buy American
Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panheadguy View Post
Hi John,

I am trying to use the Bugatti 35 for inspiration as you guessed. My buck has the rear rounded off some not as pointy as the real thing.
A Bugatti with all Ford running gear and a Chevy engine...Blasphemy!
The intention is to vintage race it when done.
I was just agreeing with Steve on where to join it. Give him the credit !

No, I didn't guess type 35, I went back and read your introductry post!

also, I think Edsel Ford had a type 35 that he had a flathead installed in it.(that is what I was told )
Old 01-07-2016, 11:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

When you shrink the edge and get what I call a bubble just above the shrink, like you have, you need to shrink deeper. Make a paper pattern of the shape you are making (by folding the paper into pleats) and you find the folds taper into the flatter area. The same needs to be done on your panel when you shrink. I would roll the panel the opposite way and work it out of arrangement to shrink, smooth and blend in the wheel. That way you can use a flatter radius wheel for smoothing.