All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 PM

Default 36 Plymouth panels.

Hi everyone. I have replaced the floor pans in my 36 Plymouth coupe. While doing so i noticed a lot of poor body work (Riveted patch panels and lots of filler) done by the previous owner. Also a lot of rot in the rocker panel sections filled with putty. This is a list of the panels i would have to make.

1. Inner and outer rockers.
2. lower quarter panels
3 mid quarter panel patches (or a large section of quarter panel including lower in one piece)
4. Rear inner fender wells.

My question is how many of these panels can i make by hand with no machines? I do not have an English wheel or shrinker stretcher or anything. I have hammers, dollies, a beater bag and lots of hand tools. I could buy the panels but i really want to learn to shape metal. Any advice?

Thank you.

Last edited by Dean309; 07-24-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM

If you want learn to shape metal, you have everything you need.

If you're looking to have an impressive shop and collect tools, the list is long.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 AM

Dean select one of your projects and post some pictures of it. You will get the advise you need to get started. All the pieces you mentioned can be made by hand. In fact that is the best way to understand shaping.

Jere
Teaching The Fundamentals of Metal Shaping
www.jerekirkpatrick.com

All tools are a hammer except the chisel.....That's a screwdriver.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:00 AM

Hi Dean,

A lot can be done with pretty simple tools, "I've just gotta work out how to do it"!!
There are loads of talented people on here and anyone of them, can guide you through most issues with the minimum of fuss.

John
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM

Dean, Yes you can make every piece by hand. I made and replaced the entire bottom 6" of my 36 Dodge coupe (same body as yours). I cheated though because I also have access to machinery. Here is a picture of the quarters that I made press dies for. There are several other pictures in my album that show the other repairs. Look at them for inspiration and confirmation that you can do it! As was stated before, show some pictures, ask questions, and the help will be there when you need it. Good luck and jump in. Bob
Old 07-25-2014, 06:42 PM

Thank you for all the great responses. I think it's just nerves making me question everything and holding me back from cutting out the rotted panels.
Here is a pic of the outer rocker i would need to make I'm choosing this as a first piece to practice making. Sorry pic is not great looking online for better pic.

plymouth outer rockers.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 07-25-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Hi Dean
There are only three 'tools' that are absolutely essential to get started in metal shaping: Two are located at the end of your arms, the other is between your ears

The rockers would be a relatively simple piece to start on. Shrinker/Stretcher would be helpful, but those operations can be done fairly simply by hand.

If you don't have it, I would strongly encourage you to get David Gardiner's DVD. The info in it can all be found on here, but the presentation really puts it all together and makes it very easy to follow and understand.

One piece of advice: DON'T cut out anything until you have made the replacement part. You need all the shape information you can get beforehand (even if it is quite rusted/damaged) and this can change if you cut out first.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:35 AM

Dean, I am VERY much a newbie myself and feel I am making great progress with just the basic tools that you mentioned. I bought a DVD from a British bloke named David Gradiner. It is fantastic at showing techniques on how to do these things with the basic tools. There are others on this forum that also produce similar DVD's. From the comments that others on here make, they are also good, but I only have experience with David's DVD. I would not have had a clue what to do without that DVD. He is also a regular contributor on this forum and you can ask follow up questions about what he shows. The same is true for some of the other guys with DVD's I think.
This is the link to his site.
http://www.metalshapingzone.com/

Good luck
Brad