All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-16-2016, 03:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Default Redneck Roundup Fri- enlarging and reducing methods

I saw Will posted a note over on metalmeet.com about me being there on Fri to demonstrate how to enlarge and reduce using the old ways as I was taught in studio for stone work. I mentioned them a while back. The video I had planned to post hasn't come together yet, so maybe someone can help by holding my vhs camcorder while I demonstrate at the Redneck Roundup... then I can get it posted for all here. Afterwards, I'll show how it can be used to enlarge/reduce any 2D pattern. NO special expensive tools are needed- Pencil, hammer, nail, string, calipers/compasses, ruler/tape, square and/or straightedge and a flat surface are basically it.

It's touted as a lost art old world technique. Not true because I and a few others use here in the USA use it regularly. I guess everyone else uses a computer and CAD. As far as I understand, these methods are the mathematical basis of such programming. It's very simple and in the past was employed by artisans who may or may not have been literate or mathematically schooled.

The Isosceles Triangle Method (from my cousin) is more limited in scope but very user friendly. The Right Triangle Method (from my uncle) has broader application but can be slower to employ. We use them to facilitate differential calculations so a model does not have to be a precise whole number multiple/division of the job. Very applicable to people here who either scale down/up patterns/models that are aesthetically pleasing but not easily converted to the desired dimensions. For example, if the actual desired ratio was calculated to be 1:1.687623, this will show you how to calculate and apply every new dimension on that project without any multiplication or division literally faster than you could with a calculator and a ruler. Very, very cool stuff.

I have never and still cannot find anything about these methods online, in print, etc. My family and Masters taught me. That makes me reluctant to put it out there, but know it needs to be used and not lost. The internet culture defeats most video selling efforts so all I ask is to be kept in the loop- share the love, tell people where it came from when you use or teach it. Referrals always help. This sculpture work is all I do and work in metal is another avenue, more personal when I have time to do it. The form is still the same, no matter what the media is.

I'll throw a few other tools in the back of my truck that may be relevant but otherwise never experienced by people outside my line of work. Will asked about the pointing machine (also mentioned here before) I use in this recent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oi_8I040-U for model measurement/duplication into another media. It could be of use to others here as an option to some larger, more cumbersome (imho) versions used for patterning. I love tools and am looking forward to meeting new tools, as well as some forum members.

So, if someone will plan to hold my daughter's ipad on Friday, I'll get a video of the process up asap after the event for all who cannot make it. That's my door prize offering for everyone, not just those at the 2016 Redneck Roundup.. See you there.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:53 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

I'll be glad to help you film it.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:38 PM

very cool- thanks, Bill.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:01 PM

Hi A.C.,

I'll be looking forward to this!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

First, my apologies AC. I forgot to add my mention of you, and when I tried to edit it, I messed it up entirely. "Sorry 'bout that!" I can accommodate the 4' x 8' plywood.

Not much was done for the Redneck Roundup, other than getting the shop cleaned and ready for the classes being presented by Per (MetalmanSweden) along with Pat (Patman) Brubaker. You will be amazed at what these gentlemen with be presenting. VERY cool stuff! We moved the Model A to make room for the seminars and tidied up the shop. The pictures of the slappers are Per's work. He made them out of the front forks of my wife's bicycle. I am hoping to wait to tell her until after the Roundup is over. He did a nice job, though! Look - they are 18 speed slappers. The wireframe buck is getting ready to be used in the morning for the upcoming class (that filled up within 45 minutes, or so of being announced)

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

MAY2614 007.jpg

rr45 001.jpg
Old 02-16-2016, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the plywood, Will. If I can draw on both sides, that would be a big help. I'll leave mine screwed to the wall where it normally lives.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:32 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Will, what are start and end times for each day of your event?
Old 02-19-2016, 07:05 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Motage View Post
Will, what are start and end times for each day of your event?
Will, What's the address?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:14 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi bill
He posted it back on post # 48
I'll add in here also

Mantiques Restoration Services
1067 Sheraton way
Rock Hill, S.C.

Steve
Old 02-19-2016, 08:36 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019