All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Spectator

I would love to, Count me in.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Charley: I finally finished with what I had to do to our property down south and am back in Ocala now. I will start making preparations for Sun-n-Fun next week. If I get a trailer reconfigured or build another one, I may bring a metal lathe that I am going to set up to do metal spinning. I have not attempted spinning and I know that the other instructors have been wanting to try it as well. And I need to tweak the circle cutter attachment for a HF bead roller and am considering bringing my big English wheel in addition to the HF unit. I got a call from Mittler Bros. last week to see what we needed for loaners this year and it may be doubtful that they will have a wheel for us. He said that they were selling a lot of them and may not have one available. We will see. He told me that last year but did provide a loaner. Really high quality wheel that we had part in. They took input from us and made improvements to their product year by year.
So I have to plan for just the Sun-n-Fun wheel and my HF wheel unless I decide to haul my big wheel down. It is extremely heavy. I need to do some calculations to figure the weight of it. I move it around with an engine hoist.
I will send you a PM with my cell number. Maybe we can get together before the flyin.

Last edited by mr.c; 03-20-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Default photos

Here are some characters from past Sun-n-Fun flyins:

Pat Groover and Kerry Pinkerton

Jacob Hunsinger and Jim Ash

Some happy customers. Frank Cunningham on left. We do make some friends at SNF.

And no snide remarks about my pink mallets!

Randy Ferguson 2003

Did I forget to mention that there are airplanes?
The P51 with the checker board nose is Jack Roush's aircraft.

Pat Groover knew someone that helped restore this P38 that was recovered from a glacier. We got to go behind the ropes to get a closer look.

If you look at the people observing this demonstration,it tells the story. A Packard/Merlin engine on a stand at full takeoff power. That was exciting. And dangerous.

A closer look.

Here is something that will probably never be seen again:
It was one of the "Heritage Flights" flown with a mix of the old and the new every afternoon at the end of the show. Generally finished with the latest, greatest military fighter accelerating straight up spinning like a top until he is completely out of site.
This one has a P51,F4 Phantom,F16,and a P38. This was a awesome.

Last edited by mr.c; 03-21-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 03-21-2010, 01:59 PM

Default avatar

Charley: Is your avatar what I think it is? Drinking from a bathroom plunger? You will fit right in with our crew. Laughter is a major reason that I go to the effort to do the SNF every year. One cannot laugh too much. Well,unless you can't catch your breath and keel over dead. We do have fun.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
Thanks for posting these Carey. I don't think I have any photos from our SunNFun days.

I don't know why but the Glacier Girl story tears me up. I remember this 'heritage flight' clearly. The sound was amazing but it was all from the air. The thousands of people watching the air show were totally silent.

My son Kris was concerned when he noticed me standing at attention with tears streaming down my face.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
Charley: Is your avatar what I think it is? Drinking from a bathroom plunger? You will fit right in with our crew. Laughter is a major reason that I go to the effort to do the SNF every year. One cannot laugh too much. Well,unless you can't catch your breath and keel over dead. We do have fun.
Yes it is, you can see a video clip of the whole deal here.
http://www.youtube.com/Charley1David.../6/RaK5QPHhuF0
Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Spectator

Does anybody know if the "Bad Dog" nibbler people will be at the Sun-N-Fun?

Broke my bit and need a couple.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I'd bet they will be. Every time I was there they were nearby and I got to know them really well. It was always a good event for them and unless things have changed I'd be surprised if they weren't there.

That said, the SunNFun organization was making it harder and harder to be a vendor. High prices, restrictive setup and tear down times, meeting fire codes on awnings, etc. Stuff that no other event (at least in my circuit) was doing. I REALLY enjoyed the event but as a vendor, you basically loose every afternoon during the air show because not only is most everyone at the show, you can't have a conversation with anyone because of the noise of the aircraft. Beautiful noise but loud none the less.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Spectator

Sun-N-Fun is not alone on the vendor issue seems greed finds its way into all events when it comes to vendors.

One of the most shocking (cheap) events is the Florida Fly Wheelers event I went to. If I'm not badly mistaken it costs $45 for the week with nice size spots & some have electric.

The one the following week is run by the city and guess what, you guessed it.
Really high price for vendors so there are a lot of empty spots and complaining vendors.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Tuck - I don't see any photos. Maybe I have something set wrong? I'm using IE-8. Would love to see them as I was probably there at the time ( not at your demonstration though)

Thanks.