All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug. '09 & Mar. '11 Rest In Peace Ken 1960-2011

Default Southern Ontario Meet 2010 April 23,24,&25

Hi Guys,

Since I've been having ongoing trouble getting logged in at the other site, I've decided to move the discussion over here to AllMetalShaping since we are getting quite close to the date of the meet. I would like to thank the AllMetalShaping admin team for giving me permission to post this thread on their website.

The Southern Ontario Meet for 2010 wil be taking place over the weekend of April 23, 24 & 25. I've booked off work for the week after, so my hammering arm will have a few days to recover before I have to be anywhere important!

This meet will be held in my basement workshop and garage in Dundas, Ontario, which is located just north of the city of Hamilton at the extreme western end of Lake Ontario. Maps to get you here will be provided shortly. We've had guests join us from south of the border almost every year since 2006, so if you live close by in a border state, feel free to come up to Canada to shape some metal with us.

Friday April 23 will be mostly a "meet & greet" type of thing, with the doors opening at 7PM for the benefit of anyone coming in from out of town who would like to unload and set up their gear for the weekend.

The hammering will start at 9AM Saturday morning, and will carry on until the last guy standing has had enough for the day, hopefully sometime before 10PM. Sunday will be a repeat performance of Saturday, until sometime in the late afternoon when most people usually start to pack things up for the trip home.

The general format will be the same as previous years, with a mix of rookies and guys who have been shaping metal for a while. Rookies are especially encouraged to join in to take advantage of this opportunity to meet the local metalshaping crowd, as well as to try out some of the metalshaping equipment that will be available for you to use.

If you would like to join in on the fun, please post a reply here in this thread to let us know who's coming, and what equipment and small/medium sized projects you would like to bring along with you. Bear in mind that this part is optional, a desire to learn about metalshaping is all you really need to bring!

If you have already responded in the other thread, I pretty much know you're going to be coming, so you don't need to reply again, unless you want to say Hi!

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys at the meet. Maps to follow shortly.

Ken

Last edited by kenb; 04-21-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Default Maps and motel

Hi Guys,

For the benefit of anybody who's coming in from out of town, here's the contact information for a local motel that previous participants have stayed in without any complaints. There is a closer one, but when you drive by the place on your way here you'll be glad you opted for the extra mile or two.

Waterdown Motel
219 King's Highway 5, Waterdown, ON L0R 2H0‎ - (905) 689-5278‎

Here's the maps:

Ken

Last edited by kenb; 04-05-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: adding maps
Old 04-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Default real steel fender

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd bring up the idea of having a car fender or something around to practice some gas and TIG welding on. Ideally, it will be something you don't mind never seeing again, because I thought it would be interesting to cut it half and weld it up again a few times to practice our welding and planishing techniques. This fender or panel should be the real steel from the old days, not that new-fangled stuff that's fussy about welds. I think this will be lots more fun than welding up tags, and we can get a fair bit of welding mileage out of a fender!

I've got enough lead time that I can probably pick something up anyhow, but I thought I'd ask around is case somebody already has something we can use.

Oh yeah, anybody know when they started using that new steel, so I can make sure I get something older?

Ken

Last edited by kenb; 04-06-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Will be there Ken. Look forward to shaping metal.
George
Old 04-11-2010, 08:29 PM

Default Southern Ontario Metal meet

I'll be there, likely bring my brother as well. We're both car nuts, he's ground up restoring (rodding) a '34 Chev pickup, I'm building a custom aluminum bodied rear engine sports car. What are the cost's? We live in Brantford, only a half hour's drive away. So accommodations aren't a concern.
I'm particularly interested in Aluminum body forming and O/A welding.
I'm a member (in lurking so far) of All Metalshaping, MetalMeet and Metalshapers Assoc.
Paul Aitchison

Every thing should be as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert Einstien

Last edited by Paul Aitchison; 04-11-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Aitchison View Post
I'll be there, likely bring my brother as well. We're both car nuts, he's ground up restoring (rodding) a '34 Chev pickup, I'm building a custom aluminum bodied rear engine sports car. What are the cost's? We live in Brantford, only a half hour's drive away. So accommodations aren't a concern.
I'm particularly interested in Aluminum body forming and O/A welding.
I'm a member (in lurking so far) of All Metalshaping, MetalMeet and Metalshapers Assoc.
Paul Aitchison
Hi Paul,

There are no costs to worry about, although we often pass a hat around to bring in some chow in the afternoons. I've got a Henrob O/A setup over here that you can try out, we'll likely have a TIG or two around as well.

We're looking forward to meeting you and your brother at the meet.

Ken
Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 PM

Default 6 days to go!!

Hi Guys,

Just bumping this thread back up to the top for the benefit of anyone who hasn't heard about the meet. There's lots of room for anyone who hasn't spoken up yet, so if you find yourself with no plans for next weekend, drop on over!

Ken

Has anybody seen that key I left in the chuck?
See Ken's Metalshaping Gallery at:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Website updated June 2011
Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 PM

Hi Folks,

Everything is all ready to start pounding metal in the morning! Bob and family arrived from Cleveland this afternoon, and Pugsy showed up tonight to set up his equipment as well. It looks like we'll have four english wheels around this year, along with both a Henrob and at least one TIG machine for welding operations out in the garage.

There's still room for newcomers if anybody wants to drop in, and there's still 11 hours of driving time left before 9 am tomorrow morning for anybody from out of town who would like to drop everything and join us for the weekend!

Ken

Last edited by kenb; 04-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Ken, hope that your gathering of metal shapers is very successful and that everyone has a great time.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Default Pics from Day 1

Hi Folks,

We wrapped up the first day of our regional meet a little while ago, here's a few pictures we took along the way.

This is Paul from Brantford trying out a wheel for the first time.

Derrol made it back again this year, scoring him a perfect attendance award since our regional meets began back in 2006.

Brian made the trip from Peterborough to attend his first regional meet among our local group of metalshapers.

Frank is another newcomer to our metalshaping crowd. He came here to learn some metalshaping techniques to apply to his hobby of building chopper style custom bicycles.

A group discussion with Brian about the bead roller. I tried some embossing with it for the first time today, which is something I'd like to experiment with a little more sometime.

Ken

Last edited by kenb; 04-25-2010 at 10:57 PM.