All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Hi John
Im having a little trouble getting Zincanneal.
Where does everyone get this stuff in Sydney??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnek View Post
Hi Bart.

Bucks are generally made to go inside the panel, so the panel overlays over the top. You will find lots of info on here on bucks and different way to go about building them.
The sheet I use for panel replacement is Zincanneal, I mainly use 3 thickness's, .8mm, 1mm and 1.2mm.
Older body's I use the 1mm and 1.2 on floor pans and reinforcing gussets and brackets.
Later models I use .8.
On chassis, you should use what the manufacturer used in size and find out if it was tensile or not.
Many late model cars are using tensile steel on all there panels, that can only be welded with silicon bronze. And of course the European products which are generally glued.
But for love nor money steer away from late model stuff, Just has no class, style or real Steel.......
Old 04-07-2015, 10:25 PM

There are many types of "HSLA" (high strength low alloy) steels used in Automobiles today. Some of these suck to drill and tap, some do not weld as easily as you would expect. These are actually engineered for a specific part and purpose. I just use 1008, 1006 mild steel for all of my projects.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:37 PM

Thanks. Thats another good option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
There are many types of "HSLA" (high strength low alloy) steels used in Automobiles today. Some of these suck to drill and tap, some do not weld as easily as you would expect. These are actually engineered for a specific part and purpose. I just use 1008, 1006 mild steel for all of my projects.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Thanks. Thats another good option
Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM

I found that G2 galvanised sheet metal http://www.onesteelmetalcentre.com/p...coil/galvabond is the same as the Zincanneal that I was after originally.
The Galvanised has different gal coating. Welding is a bit of an issue since the fumes are bad but good ventilation and mask can solve that, also the surface would need high fill primer before painting as the coating has natural ripples in it (Slightly)
Other than that same as G2 or G3 in Zincanneal but more available and in bigger sheets so if you wanted to make a whole roof panel it can be done without joining two pieces.
Similar characteristics as Zincanneal

http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/fil...ND_G2_G2S_.PDF

http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/fil...ANNEAL_G2S.PDF

Last edited by Bart; 04-08-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:02 AM

Bit more progress
I made up a chopping board die to make the bob tail on the trunk lid and ran it through the pullmax/vibro shear. Worked out ok but still need work

Old 01-19-2016, 05:44 AM

I wasn't sure where else to post this so here it goes
This is a panel I made last week, almost done, not finished yet
And I want to thank everyone who helped and advised me.
Also saw this, good old Peter in the US! They used 3M body filler to make a die, I was wondering if the reinforced 3M body filler would be better? http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthr...-MP-amp-C-Shop

Last edited by Bart; 01-19-2016 at 05:46 AM.