All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-08-2020, 07:30 AM

Just my opinion but I like the cranberry. I think a black top is too much black. The gloss black on the body will accentuate the lines beautifully. There is just the right amount of brightwork. The cranberry gives a nice contrast and allows you a lot of options for interior design and color. The top with a mat material will not add equally to the shape and flow of the body. Having a different color makes the top a distinct feature without distracting from the body styling. What is the interior to be? I would not be concerned about the top fading. I am Assuming that it is not going to be a daily driver, it will be some time before you would see a fade change in the material.

You have done an exceptional job. It is a big car and a very big project. Very well done. What ever color you choose, I am sure it will be done with an equal amount of thought and class as the project to date.

As I said, it is just my opinion I hope it gives some constructive food for thought.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:40 AM

Thumbs up Upon futher reflection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lookin View Post
2 votes for Black over here.
Really... You'll be cruising on Saturdays... And it did not take you long to fabricate the top, so just settle the question by building a second top in Cranberry. You'll have both colors, and 3 choices. My favorite choice would always be topless.

Here to quietly observe and learn.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:01 PM

Ok , I have to agree with Rick Mullin,

Quoting Rick, "Just my opinion, but I like the cranberry. I think a black top is too much black. The gloss black on the body will accentuate the lines beautifully. There is just the right amount of bright work. The cranberry gives a nice contrast and allows you a lot of options for interior design and color. The top with a mat material will not add equally to the shape and flow of the body. Having a different color makes the top a distinct feature without distracting from the body styling. What is the interior to be? I would not be concerned about the top fading. I am Assuming that it is not going to be a daily driver, it will be some time before you would see a fade change in the material".

I have to say, It's absolutely beautiful in that rendering, the top you end up choosing will be correct which ever way you go !

Just one more opinion.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris
Old 08-08-2020, 05:39 PM

I like the cranberry. Park it in the shade and only drive it with the top down. Problem solved! That is an absolutely gorgeous car, well done!
Old 08-09-2020, 01:36 AM

Put me down for cranberry Jack. Either way will look great though. I just like the interaction of the two different colors.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 08-09-2020, 04:21 PM

Both looks great and my vote would be on black.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:39 PM

Gday Jack,

1st choice Cranberry 2nd choice Black both will look good but as the Cranberries have said - "Go your own way"

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by onya View Post
.....as the Cranberries have said - "Go your own way"

Haaa! The Cranberries did remake that Fleetwood Mac song! Appropriate, and clever.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:53 PM

I need to take the roof off the car to finish the rear deck, but first I need to get a handle on the side windows. I started with the upper window seal and the stainless trim strips that hold them in. They mount to the roof along the window opening. In the first picture you can see the top one is in the original shape that fit the CTS.

The lower one was carefully bent by hand using heat. Small closely spaced hot spots, bend slowly and allow the softened metal push into itself. If it starts to bulge, stop and let it cool. Move to the next bend. If you get to the end of the area that the bend will be in and it needs more bend, just repeat the process heating the metal in between the previous set of hot spots.

Name:  1816.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  46.4 KB

I used a small hammer and various chisels, punches, and post dollies to smooth it out. Then sand and polish.

Name:  1817.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  25.6 KB

Both sides finished and seal installed for test fit.

Name:  1818.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  78.0 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:53 PM

I really , really didn't want to use vent windows on this car. I think they hurt the smooth design and I hate to stray from the original renderings. I know that an overall sleek design is due to hundreds of small details working together. Vent windows are no small deal.

A while back I started test fitting the window regulators and a plywood template of the glass. I was having problems getting the window to roll down. It would go 2/3 down, then the rear lower corner would hit the back of the door frame because of the angle of the tracks and A pillar. When I was shaping the doors, I thought I had covered this. I rounded and shortened the rear edge of the door to shorten the window opening by a couple inches.

Anyway, I'm left with two options; live with only being able to roll the windows 2/3 down (total butcher/hack job) or install vent windows that deviate from the ultra smooth look of the renderings, but allow the side glass to go straight up and down. (All the way down)
So, I picked up these vent windows for a 57 Merc. The angle looked right. I knew they'd be too tall but the biggest consideration was matching the angle of the A pillar as closely as possible. I think they'll work.

Name:  1819.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  1820.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  60.9 KB

I removed the old weatherstrips and the vent window frame so it could be cut down.

Name:  1821.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  1822.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  60.4 KB

Next I set it in place to get a look. It's WAAAY too wide. It takes up too much window area. It needs to be shortened and narrowed.

Name:  1823.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  1824.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  34.5 KB

I cut about 2" from the circled areas where the side glass run channel bolts on to narrow it.

Name:  1825.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  55.4 KB

Much better.Next I cut the vent window frame. I took 2" out of the height in the area where the lower pivot hing bolts on so the hinge would hide the weld. Then I trimmed the upper and lower ends of the vent window frame to fit.I'll leave the main frame (blue arrow) in chrome because it will meet up with the chrome trim along the top edge of the side glass, but I think I will black out the run channel and vent window frame so it sort of blends in and doesn't look so cluttered.

Name:  1826.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  72.2 KB

Last edited by Jack 1957; 08-11-2020 at 06:53 AM.