All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 AM

Question Advice sought on metal sheet trophy that has a human shape

I'm looking to commission a metal shaping artist to make a one-of-a-kind trophy for a reality show (an elimination contest) and would appreciate advice on how best to do the trophy, present the idea to the artist, and find and select the artist.

The end product I want is a trophy that looks like it is a gold-plated road map of the continental US (including southern Canada and northern Mexico) contoured over an attractive petite well-endowed life-size female body which is clearly wearing a tiny bikini. No arms (or much of ones), head, or much of a neck. Map goes down to bottom of bikini bottom / hips. Doesn't wrap fully around torso. It should look like a powerful wind threw the map against a woman's body, it contoured to her shape (no distortion of her shape), and froze in time. As for how to make the map visible, I thought possibly just etching the country/state/province lines, major cities, and major interstate highways into the metal sheet.

The above rests on a round silver-plated platform. This will have the show's name on it (in gold) and another round silver-plated disk under it that will have the name of the season's champion (in gold). This second disk can be rotated so the last season's champion is the one that faces forward. Each year, the disk turned slightly to do this. Now if I'm lucky, this show will be on for so long that a third (fourth, fifth, etc.) disk will need to be added for the years and names of additional season champions.

An added bonus would being able to bring a film crew and film the artist making the trophy in her/his studio. The artist giving me a tour of her/his studio, showing me works s/he's done, and then we talking about what I want and then the artist going to work. When the sketches of the trophy are done, I visit her/his studio again to proof them. This repeated until they're what I'm looking for. Possibly the artist making paper mache or plaster prototypes and possibly even using a real life female model(s) to cast them on. Once the sketch/prototype is approved, the artist gets to work. The work then presented in fast forward so viewers can witness the whole process. We can set up a fixed camera that the artist turns on whenever s/he works on the trophy. Once the trophy is done, the film crew would return and follow the artist to wherever s/he gets it electroplated and film that. This also shown in fast forward. I then return and have it presented to me by the artist, the trophy beautifully lit, and the camera doing close-ups of it.

Now some questions.

How long would such an art piece normally take to make? I would need it done by April, 2011 so I need to know how early I would need to deal with this for the first season.

Giving a ballpark figure, how much would it cost to commission?

Who are metal-shaping artists who have done something similar to this and whom I might be able to commission it from? Links to their websites showing off their metal artwork would be much appreciated. Of these artists, who might be up for being filmed while they make it?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Jensen
Old 07-24-2010, 02:00 AM

Hi,Scott.
I made. Bra for a film in silver, it was then gold plated.(see my posts for photo's)
It took 156 hours to make,and cost $12.000 .Ten years ago!
As for filming the work, it will cost you more money. Because it takes up to much time.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

You mean something like Monique?

April , next year is already a very, very tight timeframe.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fox View Post
Hi,Scott.
I made. Bra for a film in silver, it was then gold plated.(see my posts for photo's)
I assume you're referring to the Queen of the Damned bra. Nice work, but I'm looking for essentially a torso that is wearing a bikini top and bottom.

Quote:
It took 156 hours to make...
How long would a torso likely take?

Quote:
...and cost $12.000 .Ten years ago!
I don't need it in silver then gold plated. Just a metal that can be later gold-plated.

Quote:
As for filming the work, it will cost you more money. Because it takes up to much time.
How much more then?

Thanks for replying.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
You mean something like Monique?
Yes, very much like her. But down to her hips and no back. And she clearly wearing a tiny bikini. What I'm seeking is the illusion of just the map revealing the presence of an invisible woman sort of thing.

Quote:
April , next year is already a very, very tight timeframe.
I suppose I could have the trophy worked on while the first season is going on. Each week giving viewers a look at the current state of the trophy. This would then extend the deadline to the end of September, 2011. That help?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

So something like this but instead of seeing the body you'd see the body (and bikini, IMPRINTED into a map of the US/Canada?

Monique-Torso2.jpg

The map would appear completely cover the body? Or, as you said, an invisible woman was behind this map?

You might also check with the folks over on the Metal Artists Forum.

Doing something to the level of finish that could be gold plated increases the complexity quite a bit. I'm assuming you want a highly polished finish?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
So something like this but instead of seeing the body you'd see the body (and bikini, IMPRINTED into a map of the US/Canada?
Yes. I'd like the torso to look more forward moving. Not a standing pose. Not running. Just like walking forward.

Quote:
The map would appear completely cover the body? Or, as you said, an invisible woman was behind this map?
No, just her front and sides. Like the map was blown by the wind and hit her completely open. The map that extends beyond her body goes behind her body like a flag in the wind (but frozen at that moment). The flag part of the map even having the conventional fold creases that folded up maps have. The cleavage (valley between the breasts) might not be there or it might look odd. Not sure on that point.

Quote:
You might also check with the folks over on the Metal Artists Forum.
Thanks. I think though I'll finish here first so I can post a better first post there.

Quote:
Doing something to the level of finish that could be gold plated increases the complexity quite a bit. I'm assuming you want a highly polished finish?
Yes.