All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2017, 01:20 PM

Default Struggling with metal shrinker/stretcher

Guys
I am trying to build new corners for the rain water channel for the inside of the trunk. See the yellow arrows in an example picture

This is a C or U Channel, but I am starting with an L. I figure i can always weld the wall on and covert the L to a C/U.
As another example image, I am trying to achieve this:

When i shrink i start to get pretty good movement. But with only shrink on this side I can only get so far. This picture is in process so I am able to get more radius to the bend than what is shown, but not much more.

So last night i tried switching to the streching die and hitting the other side. Thinking that i have done all the shrinking i can. Maybe stretching will help push the metal more to form that "C" shaped radius (from a top view). Is this the correct approach?

The problem i see is that when i stretch, instead of the metal following the contour that formed from shrinking, the side of metal being stretched fans outwards. Create a fan or sea shell shape.

I used a different piece of sheetmetal to help illustrate what the stretching die does.

I will watch some youtube videos to try and learn how to achieve the shape i need, but wanted to get some advice from those on here.

Last edited by WCRiot; 11-08-2017 at 01:24 PM.