All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Default HF welding helmet

Hi Gang,

is this helemt worth the money?

I am in the US right now so i could buy it.

Ben

Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Hi Ben

don't know what that helmet is like but I would say buy the best you can afford , I have a speed glass 9100xxx gets probably 15hrs a week dark time . Had it for nearly 2 years and it's by far the best lid I've had in 20 years as a weldor . It has loads of adjustment in the head band fitting is light weight has never flashed me as it has loads of sensors and most of all let's loads of light in to see what you are doing , has side windows that also means you can also see what's goin on around you.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Ben I don't know that particular HF helmet but I bought HF blink helmets for my boys when they were working with me. For MIG they were fine. For TIG, I'd get flashed pretty often. I still have them for emergency backup if my Miller goes dead.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Ben I don't know that particular HF helmet but I bought HF blink helmets for my boys when they were working with me. For MIG they were fine. For TIG, I'd get flashed pretty often. I still have them for emergency backup if my Miller goes dead.
I had the same experience. For MIG they seem be to fine, but for TIG, they flash a lot and don't work well at all.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 AM

be aware youl need a better helmet for tig then youl need for mig
i dont know this helmet but if you need it for tig it should be advertised to be a tig helmet
Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 PM

When I first got my MIG, I bought one of those HF units. Right away, I noticed that I would get headaches ad my eyes would be sore for a couple of days after wards. I got a chance to buy a Speedglass set up at a hobbyist event. It improved my welding and no more headaches or sore eyes.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 AM

Ben, check if you can fit cheater glasses
prettige vakantie.

Frank
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2016

I can offer this:

A while back I "damaged" the lens on my Miller Elite XLi helmet. The helmet has since been discontinued and the replacement lens was somewhere in the range of $235 and was a couple weeks for delivery. I bought one of these (or perhaps a similar one) to fill the gap. The lens worked BETTER than my Miller lens, and was auto on all the time, which was nice, since my Miller would always require me to turn it back on after doing some setup work before welding.

However, the headgear on this helmet is pure crap compared to a Miller, Jackson, SpeedGlas or Huntsman. Pure sloppy aggrivation. The lens did however, fit into my Miller helmet. If you are a small time hobbyist, who welds infrequently or needs a backup as Kerry mentioned, it is worth it on sale. If you do any serious welding, save your money and buy a quality big window fixed shade with a gold lens until you can afford a good auto-darkening helmet.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:46 PM

harbor fright is the same as r princess auto in canada. i picked mine up for $45 bucks, i brake it, i return it and get a new 1 for free. we got like 6 of these in the shop. auto dark. i get flashed every once in a while, but that means it needs to be returned for a new 1.....
Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM

I don't do a lot of welding, about an hour per month on average. all of it Mig. So it's been hard for me to justify spending three hundred plus on a helmet. I read that most problems with these are broken headbands and adjusters. It seems to be fine for me and I'm careful how I use it. I still consider it a throw away until I can get a real helmet but for the price you can't hardly go wrong. Still if I was gonna be welding more often I think I'd want to go ahead and spring for a quality helmet. You only get one pair of eyes.