All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

chapter 2 i can get into merging 3d scans and writing a script to automatically generate buck data lol.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I esp like chapter 2. But before I get that far, I had better master the cover of the book first lol. Just out of curiosity though. The first pic is the scan of the car, the second is you doing the designing to build whats in pic 3? I see what pic 1 and 3 are in the chapter 2 post, but lost on pic 2.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:09 PM

I know there are several tutorials online and through solidworks, but there appears to be interest in how CAD and CAM programs work for the metal shapers on here. I can follow the tutorial on building a car rim and Im sure it will help me learn processes I can use in the long run, but as I can see, I will never build a car rim. As time progresses, a lot of us are using the computer more and more to become more accurate with our building of bucks, toolings, etc. Should there be a computer section to this forum? I realize that its a broad topic with not end in site, but why not have metal shapers help metal shapers more in that area then how to build a generic part on youtube?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:56 PM

Default cad

nice reading about the cad... ive been using cad for 20 plus years, have unigraphics nx 7.5 now. very powerful and still learning it. i use it mosty for water jetting parts
not too good at free form.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 AM

Cody, sounds like you have a real interest in learning cad. That's a great thing. I myself use Cad-cam for machining prototype parts and building cavities for plastic molds. However in metal shaping hardly ever as everything for me is basically a repair or modification. I myself will never build a custom body.....don't have the skills. But...also check out the sheet metal add ons that are available with some of the cad programs. I use Alibre design for cad. One customer wanted to recess custom gauges in a 69 chevelle dash, at an angle. He played with many rolled shapes to get the cone needed but couldn't get what he wanted. I tried also as it seemed easy to do but no luck. 5 minutes in the sheet metal program and printed out a full size pattern. It looked really odd with some unexplained radius but when cut out and rolled and taped ....was exactly as needed. So maybe something else to check out. I have not investigated if it can do a contoured surface. Never seem to have time. My skills are getting better...now only make a part twice instead of three times!
George

If you are afraid to fail, you will never learn
Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM

My skills are getting better...now only make a part twice instead of three times!
George[/QUOTE]

At least your down to 2 times now. lol

I tend to like designing, hands on type of work. I often tinker with a lot of other things that this could come in handy. I would love to one day build a car. I dont have the skills either, nor the time it seems. But you never know where life would take you. Plus, with my inlaws sheet metal fabrication shop. I can water jet or laser cut out quite a few different things. Whether it be a trim piece that needs to be accurate or what Im really hoping for is to design a new grille and cowl piece for my 67 chevelle. I can design the pattern I want instead of just the factory rectangles and cut it out and then bend and form the rest around that
Old 09-03-2014, 04:37 PM

Why is not having a waterjet or laser available and a cad program to generate a pattern a valid reason not to undertake a project?

Metal of any alloy or thickness can be cut to any configuration a number of different ways.

Computer or not, anyone can build a buck; probably in a lot less time than it will take to learn the program of software.

Trial and error is a good way to learn; in fact, trial and error is how most of us learn to use computers and software.

.....Just something I was thinking about.....
Old 09-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Thats true Richard. It isnt a very valid reason. For my purposes, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of using the computer for repeat-ability reasons. Like being able to duplicate a pattern for the cowl or grille that is doable by hand, but since the tools are available to me to make it easier, then why not.

As far as buck making. I would do it with just wood and tools for now. My metal shaping level is beginner level and I cant see me starting a vehicle buck. I was thinking about copying my motorcycle gas tank but making it out of aluminum and just polishing it. A small project for starters.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidpaint View Post
Thanks for the info. I esp like chapter 2. But before I get that far, I had better master the cover of the book first lol. Just out of curiosity though. The first pic is the scan of the car, the second is you doing the designing to build whats in pic 3? I see what pic 1 and 3 are in the chapter 2 post, but lost on pic 2.

pic 2 is a quick script written in a program called grasshopper to automate the buck making process. I have sliders I can change the interval and plywood thickness with. It makes it easy because you invest an hour writing a script, and now I can just dump any model into rhino and it will do it automatically.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreadorxlt View Post
pic 2 is a quick script written in a program called grasshopper to automate the buck making process. I have sliders I can change the interval and plywood thickness with. It makes it easy because you invest an hour writing a script, and now I can just dump any model into rhino and it will do it automatically.

Sounds awesome but way above my level. Haha