All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Individual Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I have the long motor. It's 1" longer than the short one and a bit heavier. It hits slower but a bit heavier. The short one is preferred in handheld units from a weight stand point..

Perhaps Neil will chime in but I'm not sure there is really much difference at the end of the day other than weight. The short motor hits lighter but more frequently but since the PSI applied is cumulative in the panel, I'd suspect they come out about the same. Total off the wall thinking on my part though. I've never had both motors in similar frames side by side to test.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:12 AM

Wow. Lots of information. I just emailed Mr. Dunder about pricing and a catalog. Thanks so much for all the good information guys.

I'm also going to look into building a floor model based on MSA kit.

Now I just need to develop the skill to use it.

As well as hire someone *hint hint* to be our chief sheet metal fabricator. *hint hint*
Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
I have the long motor. It's 1" longer than the short one and a bit heavier. It hits slower but a bit heavier. The short one is preferred in handheld units from a weight stand point..

Perhaps Neil will chime in but I'm not sure there is really much difference at the end of the day other than weight. The short motor hits lighter but more frequently but since the PSI applied is cumulative in the panel, I'd suspect they come out about the same. Total off the wall thinking on my part though. I've never had both motors in similar frames side by side to test.
At Grumman Aerospace they used both, shop built CP hammers with the short head and CP factory pedestal type hammers with the long barrel head. They actually preferred the shop built hammers with the short barrel heads with the conversion kit for higher BPM but they used them both so they both performed well enough. I love my 36” CP hammer that came out of Grumman but don’t really care for the CP hammer as a hand held unit, for that I prefer my much beloved Watervliet. The CP hand held hammer doesn’t have the swivel mounted lower die so die alignment is questionable and all the hammer shock goes thru the actuation lever into your hand. The CPs are good reliable hammers with good power and I have owned & used both quite a bit but at the end of the day I wouldn’t swap my Watervliet for 2 CP hand held hammers. ~ John Buchtenkirch
1 agrumman2.jpg

gruman_hammers.jpg

Grumman hammerman.jpg
Old 05-23-2010, 07:35 AM

Wow. Those are awesome.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 PM

Don't forget about considering the mech hammer from Rick

http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=183

I used his at the meet I really liked it. If I didn't allready have my 36" CP I would buy one from Rick, and then the smaller CP clone from Niel.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 AM

A question I have had for awhile, is what is the noise level of a planishing hammer versus the mechhammer?
Im just guessing but the planishing hammer sounds loud!
thanks
Steve

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM

Default Mechammer Noise

Rick brought his to the Santa Cruz Metal Meet this weekend. It was the only planishing hammer there, so a direct comparison can't be made. But in general, I'd say it is a little quieter than a pnuematic - but they still both make a ton of noise due to the hit.

John