All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Let there be light!

I finally cleaned out the main room so I could get the roadster out of the lift room. The room needed some TLC in a big way. One of the things I did was convert all 12 4' shop lights to LED bulbs. I used the ones that are direct wire so I gave all my electronic ballasts and working bulbs to a friend.

WOW! What a difference! I had a box of 24 bulbs that I ordered off Amazon. I have discovered that you can buy cheaper LED bulbs but they require a ballast and that is part of what goes bad. Even the electronic ones die. The ones I got were no ballast and power only one end. The other end is just to hold it in place. Installations is a snap. Basically, cut all the wires and put a hot wire to one side of the tombstone holder and a neutral to the other. Took 10 minutes per fixture. My shop has high ceilings so changing them is a pain especially when the roadster is in the way. As a result there were usually 40% of the lights not working.

The new bulbs are about 160 for 20 so not cheap but I've spent way too much of my life wishing I had better light.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Kerry, I've been looking to do this myself. If I understand correctly, you removed the ballast and just wired up the holder for the bulbs?

Last edited by idickers; 07-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM

Do you have a link to those bulbs? Amazon lists 8000 led bulbs.
I am in the same or worse condition. I normally just turn on the lights in the first 20 foot bay and most of those no longer light. My fixtures are 18-20 feet up and much machinery needs to be move to get a lift in under each light. I won't want to do it again any time soon (in my lifetime might be more appropriate).

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 07-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
Do you have a link to those bulbs? Amazon lists 8000 led bulbs....

Similar to these: https://smile.amazon.com/LED-Replace...ast+single+end

The Hyperion bulbs in cases of 24 is not available at the moment. I got clear tubes. The ones in the link are frosted. I'm not sure what difference it makes but I'd think you lose a few lumens. You want to search for 'ballast bypass' and 'one end'. That way you cut the old ballast out and just hook up hot and neutral wires to one end of each tube.

Kent I'm taking back 40 direct replacement bulbs to Lowes today because, while they were cheap, I didn't want to have to deal with ballasts ever failing. With a 50,000 hour life, I expect these bulbs will LONG out live me. That's 13.7 years 10 hours a day.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Kent I'm taking back 40 direct replacement bulbs to Lowes today because, while they were cheap, I didn't want to have to deal with ballasts ever failing. With a 50,000 hour life, I expect these bulbs will LONG out live me. That's 13.7 years 10 hours a day.

Yep,
My math shows another 19.35 years ahead, and an average ballast time of 23.5yrs.
Failure rate is 13%, with a $12.86 replacement cost and an 11 minute ET to change out.
Works for me.
29 tubes currently in stock, and 3 ballasts.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

I went all LED this year, but I chose 6000K bulbs. I can see things MUCH more clearly in the shop now, and my air conditioners don't have to work as hard this summer.

NOTE: Some bulbs that say they are direct replacement AREN'T. I bought all my bulbs at Lowes in packs of 10.

SANDBLAST CABINET: Change your fluorescent bulbs to 6000K LED bulbs and you will be AMAZED at the difference.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
I went all LED this year, but I chose 6000K bulbs. I can see things MUCH more clearly in the shop now, and my air conditioners don't have to work as hard this summer.

SANDBLAST CABINET: Change your fluorescent bulbs to 6000K LED bulbs and you will be AMAZED at the difference.
Opthalmic facts:
At the age of 40 your eyes' need for light doubles.
At the age of 50, doubles again.
60? - doubles again.

The craftsman NEEDS good light - so I have 300W X 2 ea. over each workbench, as I don't need surgical theater lumens throughout my whole shop.

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Default Converting fluorescent to LED strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
I finally cleaned out the main room so I could get the roadster out of the lift room. The room needed some TLC in a big way. One of the things I did was convert all 12 4' shop lights to LED bulbs. I used the ones that are direct wire so I gave all my electronic ballasts and working bulbs to a friend.
WOW! What a difference! I had a box of 24 bulbs that I ordered off Amazon. I have discovered that you can buy cheaper LED bulbs but they require a ballast and that is part of what goes bad. Even the electronic ones die. The ones I got were no ballast and power only one end. The other end is just to hold it in place. Installations is a snap. Basically, cut all the wires and put a hot wire to one side of the tombstone holder and a neutral to the other. Took 10 minutes per fixture. My shop has high ceilings so changing them is a pain especially when the roadster is in the way. As a result there were usually 40% of the lights not working.
The new bulbs are about 160 for 20 so not cheap but I've spent way too much of my life wishing I had better light.

I changed my 4ft shop strip lights to LED two years ago.
I used direct replacement Phillips LED bulbs that went right into the 25-yr-old fixtures, 8 lights each x 3 strips = 48 bulbs.

Phillips "direct replacement" #456566. About $10 each. 4000k temps.

At the end I also replaced 6 ballasts, as some of the old ones could not ignite the new bulbs.