All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-20-2021, 04:31 PM

Default How would you fab this hood vent?

I want to replicate the vents of a 1966 Ford Fairlane GT hood.

Underside of my flat hood

I'm not sure how I want to go about this. I want it to be one piece and not be an insert like that of the original.

Part of me thinks I should just cut the 3 sides, bend down the long edge and make the sides with my slip roller and then make some kind of a frame for the opening to mount whatever I end up milling for the grill.

I thought about building it separate and including a flange to help support the edges but with how close the structure of the hood is to the opening, maybe thats not needed.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed as sheet metal fab is new to me.

Clint
Old 12-21-2021, 10:42 AM

I made a mail slot.

I had a spare hood and did a quick and dirty job to see how everything would work

I'm going to try again on the other side and match the trapezoid shape of the original.

Like i expected the bend is horrible with a tight bend near the edges and sloppy in the middle. Not sure how to fix this but i may try to make the bend softer and more gradual.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Clint
Old 12-21-2021, 12:01 PM

It looks like your panel (hood) has some crown in it.
Most all panels do. So when you bend that flap down it needs to stretch or shrink in the right places to get the effect your looking for.
So what you could do is start by using paper to figure out what you need to do to get the results you want.
tape a piece of paper onto your original hood over the area your trying to replicate. Get it nice and smooth and laying down well. Then you can experiment with what you need to do to get the paper to lay flat in the hood vent area. if the paper needs to stretch to lay flat you will have to cut slits in it at those spots. If the paper needs to shrink the paper will form tucks or puckers in that area.
Once you have it worked out in paper that is what the metal needs to do to get what you want.
You can also make profile gauges (Cardboard works well) of the area your working on to help guide your progress.

Go to youtube look up Peter Tommasini study everything he has on paper patterns. Paper is the key to understanding what you need to do with the metal to get what you want.

Last edited by blue62; 12-21-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:42 AM

Thank you. I didn't even thing about the crown of the hood.

If I were to make it a tight uniform bend it would not flow at all.

I bought some poster board and am going to mock everything up using that until i get the look I want.

Clint
Old 12-30-2021, 11:45 AM

Can a moderator move this to beginner projects?

Clint
Old 12-30-2021, 12:13 PM

Poster board should work very well for mock-up.
As I stated in my first reply your panel has some crown in it.
Possibly in both directions. Up down and left to right.
Lay a straight edge on the panel in both directions. that will tell you if there is crown and how much and where it is at.
You can get a tight bend on a crown and it will flow with the crown it just has to be done correctly. Some shrinking needs to take place on the part you fold down.

Take a piece of paper or poster board the size of the vent you attempted on your spare hood.
fold the paper so it a 90 degree bend just like you did on the hood. now put arc or crown in the paper. You will see the the part of the paper hanging down wants to pucker up. that is telling you it needs to shrink. where it needs to shrink and how much it needs to shrink.

Please post your progress I like to follow along with new people learning.
Perhaps I can help as you go along

Last edited by blue62; 12-30-2021 at 04:23 PM.