All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-05-2015, 07:06 PM

Default any one out there`shaping magnesium ?

Until yesterday I had wondered if my doming dies would work on magnesium . I had heard it was not very formable . But that what they said about titanium . So I bought a sample 5 X 8 X .040 $14 free shipping . I took it pretty close to 4" radius . . lots of spring back . wheels nice 5x8x ,040 magneium.in.jpg

5x8x ,040 magneium.jpg
Old 04-05-2015, 07:21 PM

Saw this car being built on one of those "reality" shows on the Velocity channel on cable. Don't remember the shows name but did show some of the fabrication......of course also with a magnesium fire drama.....but some interesting info. The actual company was " the guild of automotive restorers " as mention in the article. Be careful with the magnesium.

George

If you are afraid to fail, you will never learn
Old 04-05-2015, 07:22 PM

Oops.. Forgot the link.
http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...upe-replicated

George

If you are afraid to fail, you will never learn
Old 04-06-2015, 09:09 AM

I think that show is called Fantom works or something, was a more real to life show than most...
Old 04-06-2015, 09:34 AM

Remember reading about a company that wheeled a body for a merc 300sl that had a magnesium body, they mentioned using "heated wheels" always wondered about this myself.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

A few helpful facts about Magnesium, Mg, "Elektron" or mag:

When I was doing Bugatti restorations years ago, those 6 cars were known as "Atlantiques" (similar to the "Atalantes") and several years ago 3 were supposedly still made from the original "Elektron" alloy - the Euro name for magnesium in the 1930's. Here in the US, Mg was discovered and developed in the early 1930's by Dow Chemical, and was called "DowMetal" and the approved anti-corrosion coating was "Dow 7."

Jerry Weeks, a skilled metal man in Indianapolis, said he was working on a mag-bodied Bugatti Atlantique a few years ago. Three of the original 6 were re-bodied in aluminum, according to what I hear from collector markets.

I think that the predominant sheet fabrication in mag is for dragster bodies, or used to be, anyway. Phil Remington did some amazing parts in mag. I'll ask Bob Behrens, the next time I talk to him. My neighbor machines tons of the stuff each year, for drag engine parts.

It work hardens quickly, so either needs frequent annealing or some CAREFUL heat to provide a hotwork environment. (Remember that the space shuttle launchpad disaster was caused by an 02-rich environment, with an electrical short near thin magnesium and plastic panels...) Once lit, a mag fire cannot be put out, so you clear a path around it and just let it run to a natural end. DO NOT add water to burning mag - unless you want to accelerate the quiet rate of combustion to explosive rates!! So.California beach parties used to use old Porsche cases for their bonfires.

Light, strong, weldable, and machinable, Mg can be heat treated for higher strength. The TIG welder was invented specifically for welding mag, in Nov. 1942, at Northrop Aviation in So Cal. Previously, it was O/H welded, using the Dow flux, which is still available.

Good Luck,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 04-06-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:54 PM

Thank you Kent I thought you would have worthy comments.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hosford View Post
Thank you Kent I thought you would have worthy comments.
You're welcome, Ken.
The hot working range is similar to 6061, with 450f -650F/340C.
Liquidus at 1185F - 640C, again similar to 6061.
And, annealing at 650F/340C, same there.
Very familiar animal when comparing to 6061, which has nice hotwork abilities.

Rule of thumb for metals, in general, "they lose useful structural strengths at about half of their melting points." Nice landmark to know, in general.

Though 5086 varies a LOT from that.
(PS, ASM is your friend !)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:37 AM

Sorry to break a thread, But seriously Kent you should write a book on your knowledge, before it all gets lost. Your wealth of knowledge here is amazing and just with comments you have posted in the time I have been a member, you have made me aware to things I never even heard about. As Sherlock say's: Very Interesting

Now Back to thread of topic.