All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Default interesting reaction while wheeling 1/4 steel

I needed to straighten the crown out of the flat section of 10 channel not jr channel used for stairs . So if you place the channel legs down and put a straight edge across it there was a good 1/16" bow withe the center high .
so my thoughts was wheel it with the legs up and crowned die on the bottom would take the crown out . But it did the opposite the flat upper did not straighten it . what I believe was happening was I was compressing the surface making it grow and I was making the channel have more crown . I flipped it legs down and wheeled it an was able to take the crown out . Mind you not to be tried on a horror fright model my 32" throat and 8"sch 40 frame let me
so it seems as though heavy hot roll acts differently than may be expected
one might say it worked like peening some thing straight , by stretching just the surface on one side there by bending the unit
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Ken, I saw the same thing with 1/4" aluminum. Took me a while to figure out what is happening. The stretch is not going all the way through the metal so the bottom surface (on the anvil) stretches more and the metal wants to move 'backward'.

What we had to do is wheel it moderately upside down just to get it to started moving. Then we flipped it over and worked it normally. Once it started it did fine.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Sep. 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Ken, I saw the same thing with 1/4" aluminum. Took me a while to figure out what is happening. The stretch is not going all the way through the metal so the bottom surface (on the anvil) stretches more and the metal wants to move 'backward'.

What we had to do is wheel it moderately upside down just to get it to started moving. Then we flipped it over and worked it normally. Once it started it did fine.
found the same thing on a piece of 1/4 brass.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2014

Hi All,
At times when we are heat treating alloy when quenched the material distorts. Now I find this is the head scratching part. Is it distorted from stretching or shrinking? Due to the processes involved. I believe the alloy behaves a bit like hot roll forming. So when trying to correct sometimes the part needs to be shrunk or other times planished slightly and until you start to correct the part it's too hard to tell the difference. Well for me anyway. But everyday I do learn something new.
Cheers,
Ash.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 PM

Rod Doc gave a good explanation of this wheeling action on heavier material a couple years back.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM

It's also explained in one of John Glover's books.