All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Metalshaping videos on-line
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-24-2014, 02:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions about a jig table. Jeffrey, that table looks like quite a good deal in fact.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:12 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their comments on jig-tables as well, as I have to replace all four panels in the sills of my Sunbeam Alpine sometime.

Good luck with the restoration Bill, you will certainly have heaps of guesstimation to do, after the moron who tried to weld those panels on, had a go!

Cheers Charlie
Old 12-24-2014, 07:57 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

One more thought on the rigidity of a frame table. If it is anchored to the concrete floor at each support, even a weak table will gain a lot of strength and torsional stability. Remove a few bolts and it is moveable again.

Why purchase extra steel when the concrete is already paid for!
A rotisserie can be mounted to the ends of the frame table to roll the car and table for better access.

Steve

Merry Christmas to all

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 12-24-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:34 AM

I have been a lurker here for sometime and have followed along and learned so much! First and foremost, thanks to Bill for writing such wonderful books. I have been following his YouTube videos and can't wait to see his progress on the Alfa.

Thanks also to all who have posted regarding the chassis jig. Has anyone here bought the Jd2 jig? The price seems very reasonable and I might give it a shot.

Best regards,

Ryan

Last edited by Rs812; 01-21-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Uni-body convertibles are tuff cars to do extensive work to especially if you want nice door gaps at the finish. I can offer 2 suggestions. #1, get paid by your hours, not an overall job price, otherwise the owner’s hard luck & mistakes will become yours. #2, don’t give a definite completion date unless it’s going to be in a reality show and have maybe 20 people working on it . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 01-22-2015, 01:17 AM

Default JD2 Table

I noticed that it looks like unistrut is used in areas. Home Depot has it in 12g material called Super Strut, with special nuts, etc. The idea of using a basic steel base structure like the JD2 table, with unistrut as fixturing materials, does offer a fairly in expensive solution. My only concern is how stable it will be with all those pieces.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:02 AM

I gave jd2 a call. The unistrut does not come with the table, only the various brackets. The pictures show various set up their customers have used. The shipping weight is a bit over 800lbs.

Last edited by Rs812; 01-24-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:48 AM

Ahoy there Bill.

How are you travelling with this project, are you making progress, inroads or is she on the back burner for a bit.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:25 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnek View Post
Ahoy there Bill.

How are you travelling with this project, are you making progress, inroads or is she on the back burner for a bit.
Hi John, the Giulietta was finished several weeks ago, was given back to the owner, and is in the paint shop now. After the fourth video my camera stopped focusing well (you see problems in that last video) and so I didn't do any more videos and just got the car finished as quickly as possible.

I now bought another camera and am on the road visiting shops and preparing the text and photography for my next book POWER HAMMERS. It will be out in August. I'm currently in Wisconsin, 1000km from home.