All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 PM

Default After 40 years, finally getting started!

Hello,
My name is Mark and I'm from New Hampshire. Back in 1974 as a child I used to watch, " The Wild World of Sports" , ( of course this was prior to cable TV) on the show the featured Formula 1 races. My favorite racer back the was Jackie Stuart. They had an interview with Jackie and showed his shop. That was my first exposure to and English Wheel and I was fascinated! Years later after High School I got into Industrial Supply sales and then into machining. For years I wanted to build an English Wheel and create custom cars and bikes. The industry had changed and manufacturing had become automated. Mostly engineers and operators. I left the industry and started doing carpentry. I joined a Maker Space in Portsmouth NH and got back into metal working. In my hiatus from metal working I watched a lot of YouTube videos from Lazze and Corvell and others. I now have a English Wheel that I purchased from Harbor Freight and picked up a deep throat shrinker/stretcher. I'm now in the market for a bead roller. I have a 4 axis CNC mill and lathe and plan to build my own dies.
I'm happy I found this forum and hope to learn and share with the group.
Thanks for adding me to the group.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:08 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Colford View Post
Hello,
My name is Mark and I'm from New Hampshire. Back in 1974 as a child I used to watch, " The Wild World of Sports" , ( of course this was prior to cable TV) on the show the featured Formula 1 races. My favorite racer back the was Jackie Stuart. They had an interview with Jackie and showed his shop. That was my first exposure to and English Wheel and I was fascinated! Years later after High School I got into Industrial Supply sales and then into machining. For years I wanted to build an English Wheel and create custom cars and bikes. The industry had changed and manufacturing had become automated. Mostly engineers and operators. I left the industry and started doing carpentry. I joined a Maker Space in Portsmouth NH and got back into metal working. In my hiatus from metal working I watched a lot of YouTube videos from Lazze and Corvell and others. I now have a English Wheel that I purchased from Harbor Freight and picked up a deep throat shrinker/stretcher. I'm now in the market for a bead roller. I have a 4 axis CNC mill and lathe and plan to build my own dies.
I'm happy I found this forum and hope to learn and share with the group.
Thanks for adding me to the group.

Welcome... I'm living in nashua now and shape nearly everyday... Moving your way next year!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Colford View Post
Hello,
My name is Mark and I'm from New Hampshire. Back in 1974 as a child I used to watch, " The Wild World of Sports" , .
Welcome to the forum, Mark.

Thanks for making me smile- Growing up in Chelsea, VT at the same time, I used to get to watch WWoS when we went to Barre visiting. (Only 1 channel CBS at our house) My mother's father always said "Watch this- that g--d-- idiot falls off that same ski jump every week! If you're that stupid when you grow up, I'm gonna come back and kick you right in the bum!" Grampy would be grinning, We be laughing like crazy, Ma would be telling her father to stop swearing around us. Then that dude would fall off again next time and we would do it all over again.

Now I'll be chuckling all morning. Thanks, man.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:30 PM

Default Thanks for the welcoming

Thanks guys for the welcoming!
My first project on my English Wheel is an attempt at building a motorcycle gas tank. I have practiced with my Wheel and got familiar with the feel and tracking. I had practiced a Shape in and Shape out from a book I read , it helped a lot with getting used to tracking. I built a foot operated stand for my Shrinker/Stretcher , then started right in on a tank side. I will include some photos.

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg