All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default SAVE your TIG WELDER.

With lightning storms blowing across the country this time of year it’s very wise to unplug your tig welder from its power feed. I got struck (with the welder turned off) about 4 years ago and it cost me $1300 plus to get my 250 Syncrowave repaired. Lightning can jump a turned off switch or circuit breaker like it’s not even there, at least that’s what they told me at the repair shop. Plasma cutters and computers are also very susceptible to power spike damage so they should be unplugged as well . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 06-10-2011, 12:33 PM

Good advise. I always unplug mine from the wall after every use. I don't know if it's because my shop is in the alley near a transformer pole or what, but I have problems with anything electrical out there. Computers in the house, I get by with a protective strip, but I have fried electronic components more than once out in the shop. Once I had the CNC unplugged but still had the computer that runs it plugged in. While everything was off a spike went through the computer com. line and took out a chip on the CNC's board. I once had a CNC chip fry bad enough I could smell it when I walked in the shop, melted the chip socket. I don't know if the Miller internals are that sensitive, but the CNC will fry if you look at it cross eyed. Unplugging everything in the shop is S.O.P. around here.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 PM

Any welders or plasma cutters that are inverter based or even have circuit board should be covered when not in use. Grinding typically goes on where ever welding or cutting is done and metal dust will destroy a machine that should theoretically last forever.

Hank Rearden