All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 PM

I have used and like the Metabo "W 8-115quick", same clutch for a smaller wheel with a quick change nut for the wheel. My work used to have 3, 2 have worn out over the years, I took them home and spent the $125 in to rebuild them. Nice tools.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:00 AM

I just treated myself to two new grinders. I think grinders are noisey and dangerous, but they do really get jobs done.

I bought two Fein grinders and really like them. The guard is not removable (without the right tools) and they have a quick-in system for clamping the discs. Also one of the grinders has on/off switches that take a little getting used to, but they make grinding a bit safer. Basicly you have to keep the on button pressed (lightly) or the grinder stops.
Overall they are quite light and stable.

http://www.fein-uk.co.uk/en_uk/stand...115-t-0185446/
Old 05-16-2014, 03:32 PM

Just followed your link. That looks like a really nice tool. I especially like the electric brake.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:29 AM

Hi Mark,
Don't expect too much from the brake. The grinder doesn't stop quickly, it still keeps spinning a little while after you turn off the switch.
Not really sure what it is supposed to add, braking wise...

Other than that, it is a great tool and should last a life time.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lots2learn View Post
http://www.metabo.us/Product-catalog...856a1cd.0.html

In the states they are sold at welding supply or safety & industrial stores. Never seen them at big box stores, Home Depot etc. Too expensive to put next to the dewalt and makita grinders.
i have 4 of these in my shop , along with few other grinders... i love the Metabo's ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Comstock View Post
Only problem with cut off discs are operator error. Been suing them many years and only Tim's I got hurt or had close calls is,when I was doing something I.shouldn't have.

They come with a handle for a reason. Use it.

Blow the sparks towards you, that way if it grabs, the tool goes away from you.

Brace yourself, and your arms. Use your hands or fingers as a kickstand to the panel for stability.

Always assume the grinder will catch, keep yourself out of the line of fire.

You can do some very fine and intricate work with a cut off or grinder, if you follow these tips. Too many people are not skilled enough at grinding. Like welding, it takes practice.
agree.... most time when i see someone break a cutting disc.. its either cheapy disc or theyre not cutting right.. loose grip, no handle , cutting wrong way , or even pushing down on the cutting wheel too hard...

always have a good grip with 2 hands, try to always cut in the direction the wheel is turning.. this makes the wheels last longer and you have better control.. and dont have your face and body all over the top of the grinder (so you can see) , i stand to the side of the grinder , and just watch the bottom of the tip of the blade cutting on the line .. and i wont try to cut the metal all at once.. depending on the thickness .. ill do a light scribe cut all the way down , come back and cut little again.. i dont put force on the grinder.. i let the weight of the grinder do the cutting.. ive been using Metabo grinders and 5" cut-off disc for many years with no problems of them shattering .. i have had employee's shatter same disc, and to find it , 100% of the time it was the employees fault...