All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default BARTON BOOK 7 COMPLETED; Feb 2018

Hi all,

I'm glad to announce that after three years of effort, and five months of writing, I've finished the manuscript for Tim Barton's Book 7 in his metal shaping history. Just yesterday I received the final contribution from Tim's sister, a tribute to Tim which will end the book.

The book has a few more weeks of compositing and tweaking by Lane Nittler, but we're now only about a month away from its release.

It's been a long journey and I publicly want to thank Kent White, John Alden, and Lane Nittler for being great partners in this long journey. I have a lot of respect for how meticulous Tim was in the previous volumes and hope to have achieved the same level of quality with this one.

It's now time for me to get back to metal shaping!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Thanks to all involved!
i’m sure Tim would be very Happy to see that all his hard work was not just thrown in the trash!
The series will be a great resource for generations to come.

Steve
Old 02-20-2018, 02:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Default Books for the future.

Congratulations Bill. Books where experience is written are rare. Perhaps in 500 years, when will the internet is off, someone will find your books, read and started again.
When I will have the possibility, I will to buy.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:36 PM

Congratulations Bill and to all involved in keeping this project alive and well. A great start to 2018!
Old 02-20-2018, 03:37 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Thanks for doing this Bill and all others involved.

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:10 PM

I am excited looking forward to it Ken
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Book 7

Yesterday afternoon Book 7, written by Bill Longyard, using Tim Barton’s research materials plus Bill’s, was delivered to Lane. Those on the list have received emails, and she started shipping yesterday.

Interested in buying Book 7? You may contact Lane at the email below, or they are available through Ebay and Amazon. International orders need to go through Ebay due to Amazon’s policies.

Also, Lane has plenty of Books 1 through 6 available. There’s lot’s of information in this series that you won’t find anywhere else.

The story of how Tim’s worked was saved from the dump, is in the foreword of the book. I want to thank Bill for his kind words regarding our team effort. It indeed took us three, plus the efforts of Kent White to pull this off.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:11 PM

I just finished reading the new book by Bill Longyard - Metalshaping, the Lost Sheet Metal Machines #7 - continuing the series started by the late Tim Barton.

This is a weighty book, on many levels. At 255 pages, it covers an enormous range of historical material about not just metalworking machines and processes, but the people behind them, and how the political and economic forces of the times could make or break certain innovations.

I really enjoyed learning the backstories of some of the major 'names' in our industry, such as Eckold, Fischer, Budd, Quickwork, and Klenk, and the surprisingly complex development of seemingly simple items that I took for granted, like Clecos and POP Rivets!

The book starts with sections on Micro-Cars, Bubble-Top Cars, and Pedal Cars, which I have had a long interest in.

Another section covers 'Coordinated Measurement', detailing how technologies first developed for architecture and shipbuilding were modified and improved to suit the budding automotive and aircraft industries. Mass production would have been impossible without precise and rational methods for describing complex shapes.

There is a lengthy section that covers the battle between the older metal-over-wood body construction, and the later all-metal construction that has long been mainstream. It's not hard to understand that if a corporation made a huge investment in forested land, woodworking machinery, and had a huge force of skilled wood craftsmen, they could be reluctant to switch to a newer technology, and there was an enormous amount of mis-information published at the time (fake news?) to try to keep their market share.

If you want to deepen and broaden you knowledge about the history of our trades, I think you will really enjoy this book!

Ron Covell
Old 03-16-2018, 03:05 PM

Default Thank you Ron.

Bill took great care when going through the research materials what we obtained from Tim Barton's estate. We had many discussions about what we had, and what we didn't have. Bill did a great job of melding everything together into Book 7.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

On another note, I received an email from Tim just today. He and I corresponded quite a few times before he died but it was still a bit of a shock to see an email from him. Of course it was spam from some sorry piece or crap...may the fleas of a thousand camels infest their privates.

I'm really looking forward to getting the book.