All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-30-2017, 06:42 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2013, Feb 2018

I just bought this Elipse mask. P3 so it filters metal vapors as well. Just compact enough to fit under a welding helmet. Filters are washable.
Happy with it so far.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/gvs-elipse...rator-p3/6922g

Last edited by RatRockx; 09-01-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:54 PM

I have found that I need the respirator most of all while using a plasma cutter.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

ESPECIALLY ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ if you are plasma cutting stainless, that is supposed to be the worst. My friend is a New York City union welder and they had a union meeting covering just that subject. His conclusion was you just about need an air feed mask if you are going to be doing any amount. Hey, you only get one set of lungs. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 10-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, the information provided is invaluable. It's one of those things you can only really find out honestly from people who have been through these situations themselves! Fortunately at work I'm not under any peer pressure and even if I was I think I'd let common sense prevail and take the precautions, but I can see how for some they'd go without them just because of what colleagues would think which is a big shame for them .
Old 10-19-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG93 View Post
...... even when the metal has been cleaned as much as possible to remove paints, primers, chemicals etc.
You are not, perchance, using brake cleaner to clean the metal before welding? Metals are actually far more porous than people realize, and brake cleaner is literally a killer. Are you using a solvent of some sort?

I also am assuming by "MIG" you are referring to gas-shielded bare wire fed process, not a flux-cored wire fed process, or a combination gas/flux-core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG93 View Post
...I've gone to the lengths of buying a face mask which helps a lot and having a fan nearby to increase fresh airflow helps too, but no one else I know takes these measures ...

Does anyone else regularly go to such lengths to protect themselves from working?
Yes, more than you realize. In my humble opinion, I think that those with some formal welding training are more versed in safety matters and thus more likely to employ more personal safety equipment than those in the self-taught or learned from a friend category. This has nothing to do with skill level, I hasten to add.

Lincoln Electric has for decades made some excellent FREE safety info available, today there is a lot on their web site:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...-category.aspx

This interactive safety course is also worth a spin through:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ive-guide.aspx

Moderators: Perhaps both links could be in a sticky somewhere?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 AM

One thing not mentioned in this thread is the carbon monoxide produced during welding and the fact that shielding gases are not life supporting either, in a confined space or unventilated area both will cause "symptoms" or death.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 PM

Default A little bit off specific question

Just wanted to point out I remember seeing many times on American Chopper they would kind of close their eyes and spot weld with no mask. Worth the money on a little prevention especially since your body is telling you something .Galvanized stuff is for sure bad I learned the hard way on that