All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Software for Metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

Default Cheap 3D Scanning

http://skanect.occipital.com/

We're running one of these at work (x-box kinect!) It's not as good as the other scanners we have, but for nearly free its awesome! You can capture a car body with this if you wanted.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:35 AM

Steve,
How do get images into Rhino, can you just save and import/open or do you to go through the cloud?

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

you can save it as a point cloud or mesh and then import it into rhino. You can then make surfaces based on that.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:17 PM

interesting cant image that the technology to 3d scan would be available so cheaply .. not sure i have a need for it or the time to learn it tho :-)
but fascinating to say the least .

David
Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 PM

I didn't know about this section on All Metal Shaping.

Has anyone used these 3D scanners them selves? I found this one but like anything you get what you pay for. Usually the cheaper it is the crappier. Some cases it may not mean crappier.
Currently I'm getting a quote to have 3D scan done to make a buck. But also looking at the possibility of scanning myself. The link below shows a 3D scanner attachment to a Ipad.
I think ill contact them and at least ask what type of file it produces and can I use to print full scale templates.

http://structure.io/?gclid=CJqS1piMhcsCFQsQvQodGz0Inw

Then there's this which appears more professional???

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/S...FRJwvAodldgFpA
Old 02-21-2016, 01:34 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

i bought one, along with the hacker cable. seems to be ok with my very limited knowledge of 3d scanning (non existent)

i have an ipad mini 2 coming so it should be better than carting around my laptop holding the scanner feeling like i need another arm and hand.

i shall post results when i have some
Old 02-21-2016, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
i bought one, along with the hacker cable. seems to be ok with my very limited knowledge of 3d scanning (non existent)

i have an ipad mini 2 coming so it should be better than carting around my laptop holding the scanner feeling like i need another arm and hand.

i shall post results when i have some
Mate if you could post some stuff that would be fantastic. Any little bit of info would be great
Old 02-21-2016, 07:41 AM

Very interested in this.
I, after many years, am finally ready to rebuild my Tiger shell.
I was lucky over the years, to pick up NOS panels, all 4 wings, sills etc.
Ive held off using these panels until I had recorded all the surface info, for future use / record to pass on for others to make bucks etc.
All my efforts havent worked well enough!
This looks like a very real possibility, so as much info as possible would be much appreciated.

"Everything is in the system, if it aint working, the system aint right"
Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 AM

I've been playing with pointcloud files (stl also) for some time now but still find it hard to get it into Solid Works or whatever to make nice slices into buck panels. But I'm a newby to Solid Works.

I've tried 123Make to make buck panels, but large pointclouds crash this little app because it tries to close the surface. Also importing slices into SW have too many point that needs to be simplyfied. This all makes the work flows I've tried a bit cumbersome. Maybe somebody has some pointers in the right directions.

My experiments with the Kinect also resulted in amazement that a cheap setup can give these results. Never scanned a complete car though.

Greetings,

Frank
Old 02-21-2016, 10:09 PM

Default SW probably not the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.de.Kleuver View Post
I've been playing with pointcloud files (stl also) for some time now but still find it hard to get it into Solid Works or whatever to make nice slices into buck panels. ...

.... Also importing slices into SW have too many point that needs to be simplified. This all makes the work flows I've tried a bit cumbersome. Maybe somebody has some pointers in the right directions.....
Frank, I've been chasing the 3D car body scanning dog around the yard for a few years myself. On a related note and for other purposes, I've been taking SW classes for 4 semesters now at my local community college. They are evening classes and the instructor is a SW re-seller/consultant by day trade. He has been absolutely amazing with his SW knowledge so far. I've had conversations with him about modeling a car body in SW in various ways, including starting from scratch as well as importing 3D scans. He pretty much said this is where SW won't be a good program to do the job, it works best with solid bodies, and sees surfaces much differently than other CAD programs.

Lots of info out there on the Kinect cameras re-purposed as scanners, I want to try but am looking for the right program to dump the data into. Oh, yeah, gotta add: it has to be cheap. (right now, SW comes free for a year with a semester's tuition to the class, because I'm over 60, tuition is also halved for me, so it's a literal steal.)

Last edited by weldtoride; 02-21-2016 at 10:16 PM.