All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Ah, now we're talking David,

Does a blocking hammer have a relatively flat contact area in the center and a nice curvature to the sides so it can fit the inner shape of a panel? I was wondering, because a hollowing hammer would stredge as crazy when used for blocking.

Is this hammer a blocking hammer?

image.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Frank

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 04-17-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

My understanding is that blocking hammer is usually used along with a block of wood and a hollowing hammer is used against a void such as a depression in a stump or sand bag. In other words a hollow, for what it's worth
Old 04-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Don't you believe it Richard, 'English wheel' was coined just a few years ago and even people over here in England insist on calling a wheeling machine an Englsh wheel. Its not an 'E Wheel' either.

Marty I am please you think it is worth keeping the names alive.
Hold on now, Dont start thinking I am going to give up on the term E-wheel, fella. Some things will just have to stay different across the pond

In all honesty, I never gave two figs for the terms hollowing, blocking, or raising until this discussion come up. They were thrown around so much I didnt get them. I understood "working over a post dolly" and working into a hollow stump/sandbag" easily enough, then you explained it very plainly in one of your posts here. I likely wont start using the terms, but it sure gave me an "ah-ha" moment and can much more easily understand when someone else uses the terms.

Marty
Old 04-18-2014, 02:29 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.de.Kleuver View Post
Ah, now we're talking David,

Does a blocking hammer have a relatively flat contact area in the center and a nice curvature to the sides so it can fit the inner shape of a panel? I was wondering, because a hollowing hammer would stredge as crazy when used for blocking.

Is this hammer a blocking hammer?

Attachment 27412

Thanks for your help,

Frank

Looks like one to me Frank. There are many designs and there is a blurred line between hollowing and blocking some people (like Peter) call it all blocking. I bought the hammers I show from Whitehouse and they were listed with the descriptions I gave.

David

All things are possible.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:32 AM
MetalShaper of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobadame View Post
My understanding is that blocking hammer is usually used along with a block of wood and a hollowing hammer is used against a void such as a depression in a stump or sand bag. In other words a hollow, for what it's worth
That's about it but a hollowing hammer is described as used for creating hollows in old books, things like vases.

David

All things are possible.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:42 AM
MetalShaper of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Comstock View Post
Hold on now, Dont start thinking I am going to give up on the term E-wheel, fella. Some things will just have to stay different across the pond

Marty

Marty, it does not really bother me that it is called that by the rest of the world but for some reason it irritates the hell out of me when people over here say it. I was just using that as an example of how words get accepted as correct.

David

All things are possible.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 AM

Blocking is an interesting term. I recall seeing a definition in an old metal artisan book. I believe it was an online copy of a craft book focused on late 1800s copper work. Anyway the definition was that blocking, in metalwork, was the process of bringing the flat sheet of copper to near its ultimate shape. The book was, of course, all about hand work.

I found the term interesting because in knitting the term "blocking" is used to describe a process of shaping a garment to size and shape after the knitting is completed.

In millinery (making of hats) the term is again used to shpe and size the hat after the assembly of the hat is completed. It is often assembled on a "hat block" as I recall.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month

I guess it's called blocking in both instances because the shaping is done on a block.

David

All things are possible.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 PM

David,

I think more so the term refers to moving an item from its raw state to some point where it more closely represents the final product. The reason I say that is I thought of another instance of the use of the word "blocking" and that is in art specifically painting and drawing. The rough sketch done with charcoal or a paint wash to layout or plan the image on the canvas.

Blocking is also a theatrical term. Blocking is the process of planning the movement of the actors on the stage. In the definition I read it said the production people would use wooden blocks to represent the actors as they worked out movements on a model stage.

In all the processes the blocking part is a major part of moving the work toward satisfactory completion. I believe the term makes good sense in all those applications and the meaning of the word is consistent.

In sports, the term "blocking" could also be thought of in regard to a process of completion of a play.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month

Richard, You are right but a block in America is a group of buildings arranged in a square pattern which is the real meaning of block. A hat block is a form over which a shape is created. We have blocks of flats (apartments). Butchers blocks which are cubes of wood made for chopping on. Concrete blocks, block walls, there are many examples of the words use to describe a cube of whatever.

In knitting it describes getting the rows of stitches to sit evenly in rows (or blocks I guess.) It does not describe shaping as far as I can make out.

David

All things are possible.