All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-03-2016, 08:41 AM

Default What tools do I need to build this door?

Hi all, I am hoping some of you experts can shed some light on this for me.

I have been trying to locate one door for my '31 Pontiac 5 Window. I have been unsuccessful for a very long time now.

It dawned on my before, but now I think it is time I build my door. It seems impossible that I will find one out there.

Aside from hammers and slappers, the major tool required to build this (I think) is a bead roller?

If not, please feel free to tell me what I am missing!

Best regards,

000_0002.jpg

Jonathan
Old 10-04-2016, 10:56 PM

Default building a door

Here is some good info. I am busy every day building our new home and my car projects are on hold. I need to build doors for my 31 mash roadster

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...pickup.732731/
Old 10-05-2016, 01:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

If you look at the door from the perspective of breaking up the features into "bite-sized" procedures, then -

The skin is cut and shaped to fit the crown needed -
The belt-line artwork is worked in - using beadroller, Pullmax-type machine or rivet gun, form blocks, and flow forming ...
Window opening is three steps down into the bottom plane - so using (I'm guessing dimensions from the photo) 3/8" aluminum bar stock 4" wide - which is cut and edge-rounded with a wood-cutting band saw and router....
The bar stock is mitered in the corners and stacked up and screwed together to make your form block.
And make your opening just large enough to step down the 3 steps and then flange back. Clamp up and run down each level with the rivet gun and flow forming tools.
Piece in the corners.... maybe another form block will work 4 corners?
Turn back the flanges around the window opening.
Turn the edges on the skin and fit to door frame - which should be supported very sturdily...!!
etc.
More chiming-in are welcome, of course .....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:23 PM

A small brake might be handy ,but a bead roller and hammers will get the job done. most bead rollers are too shallow in the throat to do a door in one piece, but you can make the tops and bottom separate and weld them together. I did the HAMB tech write up in the link above and I lengthened my bead roller to around 24" throat. just break the door down into small jobs, and if you mess up cut it off and weld a new piece on.

Last edited by jimbob; 10-09-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 PM

Window opening is three steps down into the bottom plane - so using (I'm guessing dimensions from the photo) 3/8" aluminum bar stock 4" wide - which is cut and edge-rounded with a wood-cutting band saw and router....
The bar stock is mitered in the corners and stacked up and screwed together to make your form block.
And make your opening just large enough to step down the 3 steps and then flange back. Clamp up and run down each level with the rivet gun and flow forming tools.
Turn the edges on the skin and fit to door frame - which should be supported very sturdily...!!
etc.

Dang Kent I wish could get down there to take your class and watch you do something like this seems like a lot of work but probably very accurate. If I were to do it I'd probably make a set of pullmax dies for the three sides that are the same shape and one for the hinge side then hand block the shape change in corners at the hinge side.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:12 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal1 View Post
etc.

Dang Kent I wish could get down there to take your class and watch you do something like this seems like a lot of work but probably very accurate. If I were to do it I'd probably make a set of pullmax dies for the three sides that are the same shape and one for the hinge side then hand block the shape change in corners at the hinge side.
Yes, the Pullmax-type machine would be for those who have access. For this fellow looking for how-to and which tools to acquire .... more basic.

Metal1, it would be great to have you here to our "Metal Camp."
yeehaw, another one this coming weekend .... (and they just keep getting better - according to repeat offenders).

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.