All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-03-2016, 09:51 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Udo Richard Jorges in Germany is an expert on Fokker, and other "early bird" construction techniques. He is a weldor, machinist, and traditional craftsman. Perhaps he can help you.

ujoerges@aol.com

Telephone in Germany:

7841 684335

BTW: That could be a pitot tube inlet, or perhaps a Spandau machine gun flash surpressor?
Old 09-03-2016, 10:07 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Drawing of Spandau with flash surpressor:

spandau.jpg
Old 09-03-2016, 10:16 AM

I agree with Bob's suggestion to spin it.

You'd have to "work it" towards the small end to maintain the wall thickness, but that should be doable.

I'd make the mandrel from steel and leave distance on the small end to leave room for the material to "flow" from the large to small end as a result of maintaining the 1mm wall thickness.

FWIW

mjb
Old 09-03-2016, 11:46 AM

I was leaning towards spinning it from 25mm tube. Will turn up a mandrel and let everyone know how I make out.

Udo is an interesting, knowledgeable individual. Also a bit of a challenge to get information out of.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:03 PM

Turning up a mandrel will be half the work done already. This is a relatively short piece. Turn it On a lathe. Drill the thru hole first, then bore the id with a boring bar, then because the id and od are the same angle turn, the outside taper. Support the id with a center while turning the od. Should take only an hour or so.

George

If you are afraid to fail, you will never learn
Old 09-07-2016, 12:54 PM

If your not opposed to welding i would take a triangle section out the whole length of the tubing and then close the tube back together, weld it, and that will make your taper. You could use a paper tube to figure out how much you need to cut out for the correct taper.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilot View Post
Need to form this shape out of steel tubing. Part must be made from tubing, not flat sheet. Looking for suggestions on ways to do this.

Not sure if best to start with 1/2 inch tubing and stretch it, or start with 1 inch and shrink, or spin it.
Hi, I am from the UK, so not too sure if this company may be of help to you there in the States.
I had them form similar tubes for a De Dion axle I re-manufactured for a Historic race car a couple of years ago, in short, they know there stuff, and may well be able to advise you.
Here is a link.
http://www.techniswage.co.uk/tube-tapering.html

Thanks,
Neil

Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilot View Post
I was leaning towards spinning it from 25mm tube. Will turn up a mandrel and let everyone know how I make out.

Udo is an interesting, knowledgeable individual. Also a bit of a challenge to get information out of.
I think if you have a lathe and can turn down the mandrel and have the right steel tube, then spinning down around the mandrel is the way to go - supporting the mandrel end being required, of course.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:36 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

I would CNC turn it out of a solid. Machine the ID first, then put it on a mandriel and turn the OD. We would need a better drawing and quantity and we can quote it.

Cheers Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:57 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Finally ended up turning the inside and outside on the lathe. Some work with sandpaper and scotchbrite and the customer is happy with the resulting part.

Fabricator, Thanks for the link, have a future project that will need several tapered tubes.

Tries at spinning failed, due to a combination of material, tooling, and a weak old man!