> 1949 Cadillac Roadster Build - Page 72 - All MetalShaping <
All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-09-2017, 11:32 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2016

Next are the extensions for the door frames. These have to be pretty low profile so they won't hit the hinge pillar/door jamb when closed. After cutting the blanks I used a radiused upper wheel and urethane lower in the bead roller to get the curve where they will join to the existing door frame and used the shrinker to bring in the shape to match the skin.

Name:  911.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  912.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  71.6 KB

I switched over to the stepping dies on the bead roller to put a step in where the hem of the door skin will rest. I offset the lower die by putting an eighth inch washer behind it. Not required but gives the step a better look.

Name:  913.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  914.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  64.6 KB

Before I closed these up I put some spray bomb primer on the back sides. There won't be any access to these areas after the panels are welded and I don't want any bare steel left to rust out later.

Name:  915.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  37.3 KB

I got the right side welded in and hemmed the skin. I got as far as tacking in the left side and that was it for today.

Name:  916.jpg
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  917.jpg
Size:  35.2 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 PM

I finished welding up the left door and covered the door check hole. I can't do the top edge of the door yet. I need the fire wall cut and the windshield frame in place first. I found a windshield frame in Arizona from a 58 Buick and I'm in the process of getting it to Ohio where it belongs.

Name:  918.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  40.5 KB

In the meantime I need to get the back edge of the fenders to match up to the new shape of the doors. I rechecked the car to make sure it was still level. Next, I set up a plumb line at the back of the car in the exact center. I set up the laser in front of the car lining up the plumb line in back and the center of the windshield frame. Once I established the center line of the car I adjusted the hood so the center of the hood followed the laser line exactly. Once that is done I'm done with the laser and I hung the fenders getting even gaps against the sides of the hood. Now I can close the door against the fender and mark the shape onto the back edge of the fender, plus a 5/16" flange.

Name:  919.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  54.2 KB

I pulled the fenders back off so I can cut them. Since the back edge will be shortened, The upper rear fender bolts will need to be moved forward 2 1/2" to the new location of the rear edge of the fender. I made a plate and welded a nut to the back side and added that to the perch where the fender rests. I'll knock the old cage nut out and weld that hole up.

Name:  920.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  921.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  51.0 KB

Next, I cut out the old fender brace and saved it. It's .060" sheet and I only have 1/8" or 18 ga. Neither is suitable and the originals are in nice shape.

Name:  922.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  34.5 KB

I trimmed the back edge of the fender and folded the flange over to 90 degrees. In order to do that without distorting the fender, especially near the top where the curve is tight, I used a pair of sheet metal crimping pliers that I shortened the crimping blades on. The first picture is a piece of scrap. You can see theperfectly spaced tucks the pliers make. These pliers are designed to crimp 24ga heating duct tubes. The blades are long and you don't have the leverage to work 18ga steel. By cutting the blades short, you increase the leverage and it is very easy to put a series of tucks into a small flange. I captured them by using a regular steel dolly and a wooden mallet. Same process as a steel hammer and a wood stump.

Name:  923.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  924.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  925.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  53.7 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 09-11-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Nice job and advice using the crimping pliers Jack.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:58 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Looking good Jack!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Steve
Old 09-13-2017, 06:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

Wow that is great work! I learned something today! Thanks for showing us the process! It is going to be nice when it is done!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 PM

I changed my mind on using the original fender reinforcement. I can make the new on with 18ga and add an extra mounting tab about half way between the upper and lower mounting points.
I made the new ones and started with the left fender. Using the shrinker, I started carefully bringing in the profile of the fender and test fitting numerous times along the way.

Name:  926.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  927.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  40.1 KB

I made new upper mounting tabs out of 1/8" plate and welded them to the inner reinforcement. Then test fit the fender to the car to check alignment to the door and rocker.

Name:  928.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  929.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  67.2 KB

Next, I am going to replace the heel of the fender since the original is in pretty rough shape and I want to slightly sweep the rear of the wheel opening back. I marked where I wanted it and made a template for the new panel.

Name:  930.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  931.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  51.1 KB

Old 09-13-2017, 10:12 PM

I cut out the panel and started wheeling in a very slight crown and longitudinal bends, mostly bent inward at the bottom. I tipped a 1" flange along the bottom where the fender will bolt to the rocker.

Name:  932.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  65.7 KB

The wheel opening is a rolled radius along the edge. I'm going to use a smaller radiused wheel on the bead roller and make multiple passes to get a larger radius. I ground a groove in a skateboard wheel and rolled the first pass. In between passes on the bead roller, I used the shrinker or stretcher as needed to maintain the shape of the panel. Then made a second and third pass. Again, shrink or stretch in between passes. The results were pretty good but needed a little finish work on a T dolly with a mallet.

Name:  933.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  934.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  935.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  51.8 KB

I cut the old lower fender off and clamped the new one on. I'll check everything tomorrow and weld it up.

Name:  936.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  937.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  48.0 KB

Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015

Looks great Jack.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:04 AM

Just another inspiring post Jack. And thank you for being so conscientious on documenting your project. I know how hard it is to remember to take that picture and write up that post. For those of us living vicariously through you, thank you
Chuck
Old 09-15-2017, 08:45 PM

Nice work dumbass! First day on the job?
Somehow I managed to screw up the bend along the lower edge of the fender. I missed it by about 3/16" at the front.

Name:  938.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  65.7 KB

It was a real headache straightening that out since the inner brace was already welded in. I had to relocate the bend by hand with hammers and dollies but I got it looking presentable. I don't know what happened but I guess that from taking the fender on and off numerous times, the core support must have shifted and I did not catch it until after I had marked and bent the lower edge. So, I went around and checked level and alignment yet again. Made adjustments and mounted the fender to check the fit. It's good now so I cut the front of the rocker to match the fender. I also need to make a bracket for the rear edge of the fender to the firewall while everything is in alignment. There are three bolts along the lower edge and one at the top of the fender which would normally be plenty but the fender reinforcement that I made is thinner than the original so to compensate for that, I'm adding another bracket half way between the top and bottom bolts.

Name:  939.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  940.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  941.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  61.1 KB

After making the cut on the rocker, I made a cap that matches the radius of the wheel opening lip and welded that in.

Name:  942.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  943.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  74.1 KB

So I put everything back together again and I have a good fit everywhere. The swept rear edge of the wheel opening is one of those things that no one will ever notice but it works with the angle of the A pillar and the angle of the rear cut of the back fenders. It works with the whole of the car. People usually don't notice this kind of thing because it looks natural. Expected. You would only notice if all these various things were NOT aligned.
There are a lot of lumps and bumps all over this fender. It will probably be another day's work to get it straightened out. Nothing major, just a lot of minor stuff.

Name:  944.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  945.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  36.7 KB