All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-19-2016, 02:19 PM

Default Speedshaper jumps in!

Hi This is George, I go by Speedshaper. Not because I'm speedy at shaping things, but because I hope to shape things that are speedy. I have a varied background and I'm always curious and learning new skills. I build surfboards, streamliner land-speed bicycles (HPV's), and just about anything else that catches my ADD attention span.
I run the "Hangar" shop at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, CA which is open to all students on campus. Here I manage a large extensive shop with metal shaping tools, full machine shop (manual and CNC), wood shop, weld shop and composites shop. Myself and my 40 student employees teach young people to be craftspersons and professionals. We log 1,00 student hours a week with over 5,000 students from 30 majors qualified to drop in and use the shop.
Cal Poly's motto is "Learn by doing" and faculty, staff and students really take it to heart here. How many PhD's do you know that make their own sailboards, surfboards, sports cars or TIG their own bicycles? I know a lot.
Craftsmanship is very much alive and growing in the USA, despite what you may hear!

"If you can dream it, you can build it!"
Old 10-19-2016, 04:26 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Default Welcome

Hi George

Welcome to Allmetalshaping. Good to see that your school is teaching people hands on skills, we will always need their talents.

I taught High school auto shop in the 80's until they closed down all those programs. I was told they were not needed robots & computers could do those tasks, and we were just duplicating what the tech school offered..........oh well now I have been having fun doing Auto Restoration for 26 years.

We are a friendly group, and your questions will usually get answered rather quickly. Please encourage your students to join our site. As you found out when registering we require a few extra hoops to be jumped through but that keeps the garbage out.

We like to see what others are up to so when you get a chance post some photos of the project in the shop.

Steve
Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshaper View Post
Hi This is George, I go by Speedshaper. Not because I'm speedy at shaping things, but because I hope to shape things that are speedy. I have a varied background and I'm always curious and learning new skills. I build surfboards, streamliner land-speed bicycles (HPV's), and just about anything else that catches my ADD attention span.
I run the "Hangar" shop at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, CA which is open to all students on campus. Here I manage a large extensive shop with metal shaping tools, full machine shop (manual and CNC), wood shop, weld shop and composites shop. Myself and my 40 student employees teach young people to be craftspersons and professionals. We log 1,00 student hours a week with over 5,000 students from 30 majors qualified to drop in and use the shop.
Cal Poly's motto is "Learn by doing" and faculty, staff and students really take it to heart here. How many PhD's do you know that make their own sailboards, surfboards, sports cars or TIG their own bicycles? I know a lot.
Craftsmanship is very much alive and growing in the USA, despite what you may hear!
CalPoly has always provided practical edu.
Welcome Geo.
Through my own little metal edu I am in touch with A&P, trade and tech schools around the US....
Celebrate Craftsmanship!

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:01 PM

Welcome aboard,

since I'm a native german, I'm really looking forwar to you posting pictures. I know of the workshops in schools here and would like to compare them to yours, especially the mix of different materials. If you don't mind, please also do post pictures of you HPV's. Do you drive them sometimes?

Last edited by Blechpatscher; 10-21-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-21-2016, 01:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Welcome Speedshaper. CalPoly sounds like a great place to be and work. I remember when I was involved with Formula SAE the Cal Poly cars were always fast and nicely engineered.

Don't believe everything you think.