All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Still Looking for manual for an FIE hardness tester

I am still in need of a manual for correct assembly of this FIE hardness tester. When I bought the tester along with some other equipment, one of the movers knocked this machine over and all the insides either got knocked out or misplaced. I have them all put back inside, but do not know how to get it adjusted for using it. I have tried several time on the internet, but their 'downloads' only reveal more marketing information. It is entirely possible that I am not downloading correctly or their may be a compatibility issue with my computer. At any rate I have been unable to gather the info that I need. I have found (4) websites and one U-tube video, all to no help.

Can anyone help me gather this info? I would be more than willing to pay for a copy. Thanks.

wac01 011sm.jpg

wac01 015sm (2).jpg
Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 AM

That stands for: Fuel Industries and Equipment, the one where I used to work years ago looked the same but had a big bellows(like a rack boot) protecting the threaded adjuster rod. Also had a lot of adapters for measuring shafts and pins. We used it to test hardened pins and pintles for Forklifts repairs and some diesel injectors. Not sure if the company still exist or they might have been bought out.
Well just did a google search but couldn't find your model. Try and give them a call.
http://www.fuelinstrument.com/

Sorry can't tell you how it works cause I never used it, just asked what it was and what it did.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 AM

Good morning John, thanks for taking the time to respond. I have tried to contact each of the now (5) websites that I have encountered and have not been able to get a connection to that phone number either. I have sent 4 emails and none are returned. I will keep trying because I want to be able to monitor the hardness of the material and the welds that I am working with.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:27 AM

Will, check out this site. http://mcspt.com. They are supposed to have a large selection of manuals although personally I contacted them for a manual for my late, a Kohema, and they never got back.....but worth a try.
George

If you are afraid to fail, you will never learn
Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

You might try these guys.
http://www.sunteccorp.com/index.htm
The machines might be similar enough to use their instruction manual. At the very least, they are still in business and they will talk to you. Do you have any of the little round hardness standards?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 PM

Will, take a look at

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...tester-193040/

I asked about how to use them after buying one and got some helpful information.

The link to the rockwell.pdf file in that thread is bad but I've got a copy of it on my website:

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/m...ardnesstester/

That should at least get you a start.

cheers,
Michael
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Will: Often times, when I strike out on searches,I click on Google images and look at the pictures. The link from the picture very often nets results. I have done some image searching for your machine and have found that your machine appears to be made by Saroj and sold and service by FIE. Several of the sites gave pdf's of some specifications. But perhaps more importantly contact information for the Saroj company. Perhaps another avenue to pursue.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 06-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Default A Shot in the Dark......

Will,

I don't know if this bears any resemblance to the internals of your tester but perhaps there is a later Patent registered for yours with the adjustment details.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...m&locale=en_EP

If you move on to the later pages in this Patent, it gives a detailed description of the mechanism and adjustment.

There's also a document outlining the use and calibration of Rockwell testers from Wilson. I couldn't find a link directly on their site but it can be downloaded as a pdf via http://www.instron.us/wa/library/Str....aspx?doc=1154. (Copied from the references (#9) on the Rockwell Testing page of Wiki)

I'm in strange territory here but I hope the Patent search idea might assist in some way.

Last edited by Phil Minton; 06-24-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Spelling & grammar
Old 06-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Default Thanks for the help

George: Thanks for the link. I did look at that site, but nothing listed for my brand machine.

Bob: That was a cool link, thanks. Nothing about my machine, but a lot about testing was learned there. They actually have a sheet metal oriented machine listed. I am going to be in Michigan next month and will probably stop and talk to them about it.

Michael: I looked at both links, thanks. I printed the picture and it was of some help in understanding the relationship of the components. Reading the replies to your post on the machinists sight also added some insight.

Cary: I have done that as well, including a trip thru YouTube where I got some more info, but it did not turn out.

Phil: I checked out both links, and printed the patent drawing. The Wilson info was particularly helpful. Things are getting clearer now.

I stopped by the last place of my employment and got a free instructional on how a calibrated hardness tester works. Along with the info you guys have helped me with, I think I am on my way to being able to use this tool. THANKS!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Will: I did some more image searching this morning and found this: http://www.ccsi-inc.com/p-metaltek-ras.htm

The Metaltek-ras appears to be the same machine. This company is not in India. They are in Akron ,Ohio. They do have a repair and calibration service. They may be able to help you with some written material if they are willing.
As a side note,I have a portable rockwell hardness tester. The image of that tool appears on the FIE site as well as this site from Akron. The tool that I have is quite old and was made in America. I was unaware that there were knock-offs. Good to know since I am missing the piece for doing brinell testing.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com