All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-08-2018, 06:21 PM

Default Rusted B Pillar Cutting?

I would like to ask all of you what cut off tool (electric, I don't have access to a big compressor for air tools) can I use to fit in this small area to cut the inside two sides of my B pillar. I plan on rebuilding this by patching on the inside two sides. The rest has strong metal left to weld to. I plan to cut about 4" up. My problem is, 1. I don't have experience, and 2. my 4" cutoff wheel may be too big. I definitely need help, and am open to suggestions. Thanks ahead of time.

dOOR B PILLAR 2 1938.jpg
Old 07-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Not really sure where you are going to cut but if I couldn't use an air saw, I'd probably go for a Saws-all type thing with a metal blade.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:53 AM

Recipros are great, the tool I found that is invaluable when I was doing home renovations was the Multi Tool.
I thought I would try it in the workshop for bodywork, with the right blades it works fantastic, specially in confined areas, or where other tools can't be accessed easily.
There also great for removing spot welds, just buy the good quality metal blades.
makita-tm3000cx7-320-watt-multi-tool.jpg
Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Administrator

I don't know what the entire B panel looks like or where you intend to make the cuts. I would suggest that you start making some of the panel that you know will need to be replaces, make them longer than what you think they should be. I have always found that you need to cut more than what you think.

This will also allow you select where you can make an easier cut and have the seam easier to weld.

The selections given for cutting have been good ones. Save some of your worn down 4" discs to use in tight spaces. They don't last very long but will let you get into tighter spaces.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.