Old 02-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default The Burt Buck

I got this idea from the late Ken Burt. It's explained

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showp...9&postcount=16

and

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showp...0&postcount=17

I use this frequently to allow me to build a FSP which tells me how to shape the panel. Really handy with complex panels like double reverses.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Finger pattern

That technique also works for me, as well.
"Finger pattern"

W_R finger pattern copy.jpg

H1 Wingroot 1 copy.jpg

H1 Wingroot 9 copy.jpg

Becomes a rigid form or mockup when made of aluminum strips which are then riveted as an assy.

xke007.jpg

xke022.jpg

xke028.jpg

A graduate of Art Center once told me, after he and his team mocked up Bill Lear's steam bus in 6 days, "Anything is legal for a mockup." For the one-off stuff, I think it's best to work accurately but quickly, because it all gets tossed xcept for the final result. Q and D rules in that environment. (quick and dirty).

For doing 2-6, the game is different because the mockup takes much more abuse, so you have to go for a stronger - and more time-consuming fixture. Be creative. Chicken wire and plaster. Wire and rod, bent, brazed, and curved. Fiberglas splashed up for a shell. List goes on. What have you got nearby? Let's get to work.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Administrator

I agree Kent, it's a great approach. What Ken Burt did was cover the finger buck with aluminum tape to provide support for a flexible shape pattern and provide an way to visualize. QUICK and dirty but very effective.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Shortcut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
I agree Kent, it's a great approach. What Ken Burt did was cover the finger buck with aluminum tape to provide support for a flexible shape pattern and provide an way to visualize. QUICK and dirty but very effective.
Yeah, I guess I short-cut the BurtProcess by eliminating steps 3 and 4 (aluminum tape and then FSP tape).

Sorry, but I was on a get-it-done 2003 deadline.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:47 AM

Thanks guys, the message I got was to spend more time in the information/feedback stage not that I was necessarily totally wrong in my technique.
I'll start fresh today, thanks Oj
Old 05-22-2020, 08:56 AM
Administrator

For those of us who use FSP's to tell us where to stretch and shrink, I believe the Burt Buck is invaluable. Even if you use paper dolls as Kent described, having the structure under the paper is quite helpful.

Flexible Shape Patterns is what I learned on and they still SPEAK to me.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:09 AM

To promote the common welfare . .

“Not that I was totally wrong in my technique”

I don't grok the inference here, or in other posts, the apparent "apologetic attitude" in response to advice from Metalshapers with greater experience (and, for me, talent).

I had an epiphany during my first Tinman Workshop,

Kent had 6-7 groups welding aluminum in the room behind him. While he was providing some focused instruction to 3-4 of us, without batting an eye, raising his head or turning around, he simply raised his voice, directing a comment to a student on the far side of the room, asking the student by name, something in the vein of “What are you doing wrong”. He completed his immediate comment to the group he was instructing before he returned to the “miscreant” and asked him how he had set his torch.

He never turned around but more than a few of the other groups could be seen to check their torch settings. Consummate awareness.

This scenario was repeated in various ways at the Santa Cruz meets by the likes of Covell, Lazee, Winfield and others. I’m sure its been witnessed at all the various Metal Meets referenced on this forum.

Kudos to all the gurus, (intellectual leaders who impart in us the characteristic of initiation) who spend so much of their time showing their projects and progress for our benefit . . .

No need to feel chastened or apologize, they achieve their personal goals by helping us achieve ours!

It's clear they want you to be the best that YOU can be.

Onward and Upward !