All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Andrews View Post
That's one Nice looking Omega,

Remember in '76 Most Manufacturers had 200 Anniversary Additions? I'm surprised nobody's Restoring those Cars.
Its pretty darn solid with only small amounts of rust. Really an easy project. Its not nearly as nice as the front view picture shows.
I could restore it as its very complete but the resale I think would be more if I were to 'HotRod' it a bit.
It will never have Camaro interest.

plenty of surface rust.
P1010114.jpg
Old 11-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Been thinking about the scoops and I'm starting to not like the 442 scoop idea. I'm now giving thought to a recessed scoop, like in the 67-8 Mustang hood where the blinkers are. But my own design.
Thinking it would be more subtle yet still give it a muscle 'feel'.

I'll have to make some prototypes.68MustangFastback04-hr.jpg
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Scoops

Personally, I'd prefer Ben's idea with the 442 scoops - but that's up to you.

Saw a 1964 Falcon where the builder did a Camaro style cowl induction scoop on it. The falcon has a style line down the center of the hood that matches the fenders. He maintained that style line, and did what appeared to be, cut the sides, lift it up, and weld in new sides. Never did find the owner, and only saw the car once. It was a nice job, one of those you could walk by easily.

With your trim piece of the middle of the hood, you could do the cowl induction with the trim up the center.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 PM

Default hood

Well Brad I think either type would look good, but it does need something to help the grocery getter car look a little meaner. My advice would be to get a repop hood for 150.oo and do anything to it you can imagine, cause we can always cut and put in new panels and save the old tin.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:53 AM

I guess you may have already thought of this, but will a Nova or Ventura hood fit it?
Gives more options of finding one.

"OK, when I nod my head, you hit it..."
Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMarsh View Post
The first metal shaping project I did was a 68 COPO Camaro style hood for my 67 Camaro, but my website is down right now or I'd show you a few pics to see what I mean.
Its up now I just checked it out, very cool! Nice work on the scoop.
Any recent pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hendrix View Post
Well Brad I think either type would look good, but it does need something to help the grocery getter car look a little meaner. My advice would be to get a repop hood for 150.oo and do anything to it you can imagine, cause we can always cut and put in new panels and save the old tin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefscoupe View Post
I guess you may have already thought of this, but will a Nova or Ventura hood fit it?
Gives more options of finding one.
No one to my knowledge repops Omega anything. Nova hoods are not the same. Ventura's are about as rare as Omega's. Probably a different hood anyway.

Might make up a hood bump or buldge shaped close to the 442 idea but no scoop opening.

best I can come up with 70 Fury hood, but wider, not too in your face but less grocery getter. ? yep still thinking!

mopp_0602_07z+1970_plymouth_fury+hood.jpg

1971PlymouthFury.jpg
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Try a google images search: Hood Scoop. Lots and lots of pics.

"OK, when I nod my head, you hit it..."
Old 12-26-2011, 04:18 PM

Default More hood scoop help needed

I've been offered a 73 Cutlass 442 hood (scoop portion) for a super good deal. Heres where you (long term metal shapers) come in.
The guy lives far enough away I'll have him ship it. It would kill the deal to ship the whole hood. I'm thinking having him cut it down the center on either side of the raised portion.
Or should it be easy enough to save on shipping to recreate that on the Omega hood?

Cutlass hood has the raised portion about a foot wide as where the Omega has a ridge down the center.

Should I bother with the whole center section or just the scoop part?
Whats a newby to do?

1973_oldsmobile_442.jpg

4669944001_large.jpg

cut.jpg
Old 12-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Brad, I'd just suck it up and pay the freight. You're going to have a ton of time in welding the center in and getting it straight vs just taking it out of the crate and painting it.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 PM

If you can weld that piece into your hood and get it straight I will take my hat off for you as an excellent welder and metalshaper!

If you have not done this before I suggest you go to a breaker and get any hood, slice it in 2 and weld it back together. I'm not joking or anything, it will tell you if you're up to the job. If not, you will have had a learning experience. Providing you analyze the result. If it comes out good, the "real one" will come out even better.

I suppose there is some bracing on the underside that will make it necessary to remove the skin from the frame to get it right. If not the frame will at least tell you where not to place the cuts.

I would go for Kerry's option without thinking it over twice.