> caddy roadster (not what you may be thinking) - All MetalShaping <
All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-04-2017, 03:00 PM
AWM AWM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dora, Al
Posts: 20
Default caddy roadster (not what you may be thinking)

I teach at a high school tech center
We have currently started a project that will require a good bit of sheet metal fab. I have used this sight before showing students in my collision repair class ideas on shaping and creating patch panels.
We recently finished a cool project that got us grant money that we purchased some basic sheet metal forming tools. We now have a hand shrinker/stretcher, bench shear, shot bag with mallets, throatless shear, bead roller, tubing bender and notcher. We also have access to our HVAC shops stomp shear and 6 foot finger brake. I plan on covering basic sheetmetal techniques with my seniors.
Our current project is a Ed Roth inspired caddy roadster. I recently obtained a roached 1964 caddy from our local scrap yard. Our plan is to blend the front fenders with the rear QTRs to form a unique roadster body. The fab work will include a integrated chassis/body structure and custom interior and roof. It will be a finished painted car. (hopefully)
Here is a picture of the drawing of what we plan to build along with some initial mock up photos

Name:  caddy.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  photo (5).jpg
Views: 963
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  photo 4 (2).jpg
Views: 956
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  photo (7).jpg
Views: 958
Size:  83.6 KB
__________________
Anthony

Last edited by AWM; 12-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2017, 04:23 PM
AWM AWM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dora, Al
Posts: 20
Default

the plan is for something close to the Lunar Lander and this concept drawing.
we have also discussed building a bubble top. We are still in the planning stages. We are currently working out how to blend the QTRs and fenders together. We plan to blend the fin into the top of the fender and fade the fender styline into the QTR. Then raise/section the lower portion of the fender and fab a panel to blend this new lower fender section into the QTR.
Name:  lunar lander1.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  corvair.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  9.7 KB

we're not scared of crazy projects, we shortened a full size bus 82 inches and slammed the crap out of it last year
__________________
Anthony

Last edited by AWM; 12-05-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2017, 05:18 PM
hot rivet hot rivet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 214
Default

That looks pretty cool! is the front end going to be fitted with a single twin headlamp in the centre and the wings pinched together like an old hot rod. or is it just the perspective of the picture?
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2017, 06:09 PM
onya onya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 78
Default

I like this, hurry up and get a frame under it.
__________________
Leigh,

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Larry4406 Larry4406 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 40
Default

Awesome that shop class and automotive is still being taught somewhere!

I like where this project is going. Congrats to you and your students.
__________________
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 PM
crystallographic crystallographic is offline
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 & April '16
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western Sierra Nevadas, Badger Hill, CA
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
I teach at a high school tech center
We have currently started a project that will require a good bit of sheet metal fab. I have used this sight before showing students in my collision repair class ideas on shaping and creating patch panels.
We recently finished a cool project that got us grant money that we purchased some basic sheet metal forming tools. We now have a hand shrinker/stretcher, bench shear, shot bag with mallets, throatless shear, bead roller, tubing bender and notcher. We also have access to our HVAC shops stomp shear and 6 foot finger brake. I plan on covering basic sheetmetal techniques with my seniors.
Our current project is a Ed Roth inspired caddy roadster. I recently obtained a roached 1964 caddy from our local scrap yard. Our plan is to blend the front fenders with the rear QTRs to form a unique roadster body. The fab work will include a integrated chassis/body structure and custom interior and roof. It will be a finished painted car. (hopefully)
Here is a picture of the drawing of what we plan to build along with some initial mock up photos

Attachment 44405

Attachment 44406

Attachment 44407

Attachment 44408
WHY NOT !!!
Great idea.
... and encourages design, development, creativity, and the automotive shop skills (aside from CAD 3D printing, machining ...)
Yeehaw!
__________________
Kent

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 PM
AWM AWM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dora, Al
Posts: 20
Default

thanks
Our school has over 600 students
some of our classes include, precision machining, design, welding, automotive, collision, HVAC and electrical

The idea is to build a Roth inspired prototype of what GM may have created.
The goal is to inspire creativity, increase problem solving skills and confidence along with improving marketable skills.
As far as the design, we plan on using all 4 headlights and create a unique "grill", Section the hood to form a removable engine cover and fab the rear body area. The top and interior will probably develop after these aspects are completed.
__________________
Anthony

Last edited by AWM; 12-05-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2017, 05:19 PM
AWM AWM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dora, Al
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rivet View Post
That looks pretty cool! is the front end going to be fitted with a single twin headlamp in the centre and the wings pinched together like an old hot rod. or is it just the perspective of the picture?
it will have all 4 lights
we plan to pinch the fenders in at the cowl and form a unique custom front
The hood will be sectioned and used as a engine cover and top of this grill area
The front area will be addressed after we figure out the front suspension
We plan on an old school straight axle mounted suicide style like an old hot rod with radius rods mounted through the fender well openings.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Kerry Pinkerton's Avatar
Kerry Pinkerton Kerry Pinkerton is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Posts: 7,220
Default

Great project Anthony. Do a search for "Burt Buck". It might help you to design how one panel flows into another. We're only a couple hours apart. If you could make it up this way, I'd be glad to spend some time with you and some of your kids showing them how to shape metal. My stuff is a bit too big to haul down and do something at your shop.
__________________
Kerry Pinkerton

http://wheelingmachines.com

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2017, 10:20 PM
AWM AWM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dora, Al
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Great project Anthony. Do a search for "Burt Buck". It might help you to design how one panel flows into another. We're only a couple hours apart. If you could make it up this way, I'd be glad to spend some time with you and some of your kids showing them how to shape metal. My stuff is a bit too big to haul down and do something at your shop.
wow, thanks
that may just be possible
will definitely look up Burt Buck as well
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.