All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Cpeterson Cpeterson is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 58
Default How would you describe blocking metal

Welcome thoughts on how you would describe blocking out a panel an or metal blocking
Craig Peterson

Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM
KAD KAD is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202

The initial process of roughing shape into areas of a panel that will later require this shape to be refined into a desired final product.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Peter Tommasini Peter Tommasini is offline
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Posts: 7,565

Blocking means a way to shaping a panel, also shrinking or stretching a panel, sometime a combination of both can be done with blocking to a desired shape. Then the panel gets smoothed off on a forming dolly prior to wheeling and finishing it off
I think that in England they call this ''hollowing'' ( not sure ?)

PS in the US most of shaping is done with heavy hammers like the Yoder and other machines . also the panel is finished off in the same way

Metalshaping tools and dvds

Metalshaping clip on youtube

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Maxakarudy Maxakarudy is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Origin of the wheel, UK
Posts: 626

Judging from what I've seen & been shown..

"Blocking" is heavey stretching against a soild object, like a wooden stump or steel block, the metal is thinned out at the point of contact between the hammer head & the material that the metal was resting against, like planishing on a dolly.

"Hollowing" is different, the use of a hollow stump or sandbag is what the metal is rested on, the hammer head forces the metal to stretch into an unsupported void, this also causes tucks to be formed aswell.

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 PM
cliffrod cliffrod is offline
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 1,534

I'll add that the term "blocking" may have been appropriated from other pre-existing disciplines, much like the caulking-corking discussion a while back.

In carving, "blocking" means initial basic development of an overall form or gesture from the block of stone or wood. In stone work, you work the initial block of stone from the block to a more recognizable shape. In wood carving, blocking includes this action plus address of necessary stabilization such as removal of knots which are then replaced with wooden plugs to allow further carving. For either, only basic bulk removal tools are used- hammer and hand point for stone or hammer/mallet/dummy and large chisels & gouges for wood. You also use a brace or drill and auger to remove the knots in wood.

I would describe blocking as the initial development of a form in three dimensions using basic tools before further refinement takes place. Fine-tuning the definition to be metal specific will probably vary between preferred hammer/wheel/etc work methods.
AC Button II Carolina Sculpture Studio Channel
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.