All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 AM

I would be more open to panel adhesive on such a mounting system than welds, as long as there is enough triangulation as not to flex the nose. It would take considerable thought to be assured it would work well, the layout of the bracing I mean.

Any Bracing on your nose I would think should be in a neutral state, with no pressure other than gravity. Day to day driving, twisty roads, and potholes will change how the stresses are applied, though.

Marty
Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

A belated Thanks Guys.

I just realized I never replied to your comments.

I will make up channeling under the fenders which will end at a lip or grill opening and weld the two ends there. The panel adhesive I mentioned would be more like a cushion between the channel and the sheet metal, like the hood skin on my pickup has to keep it from rubbing and making all kinds of racket.

The two brackets you see in this thread will be changed to hit the headlight opening plate and weld to that. The trim ring will hide the welds.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will change up the brackets for sure.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 05-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Hi guys. New here but Pugsy and I go back a ways on this issue. We have taken different paths on our 41's. He is more adventuresome than me as well as better skilled. I am only trying to make minor changes to mine.

That said, the stock fender braces are my problem.

So, I have tried to find people with experience and I am seeing that here. I have already got the "If GM didn't think they were necessary, they would not have put them there."

BTW, originally I believe there were two bolts which went down through the top of the fender into captured nuts on the end of the brace. The fender spears covered them up.

So, on advice that they are needed (I am still not sure - anyone here have real life experience?) and that I should not attach them with panel adhesive, I welded a repad to the underside of each fender where the braces originally bolted to the fenders. As you can see there are 7 rosette welds holding each repad in place.

I then welded two tabs to the repad and bolted the brace to the tabs.

Pugsy turned me on to TheRodDoc's post on this thread. Good sound information. But now I don't know what to do!

On one hand, these fenders when mounted seem plenty stout. Here is a photo of the front without the fenders.
The braces seem almost redundant. Anyone run without the braces? Any bad results? I may just cut them short and only use them to attach the inner flange of the fender to the rad support.

Or, I could remove the bolt tabs, bond a rubber pad to the end of the brace and let it support the fender at the stock location only in downward movement. Fore, aft, side to side, and up movement would be unrestricted. Would that prevent ghost lines?

I could extend the brace so that it would attach to a tab welded to the wheel opening lip. The lip is a half round roll so it would be completely unseen.

Or, I could use the mount as shown but now I am concerned about ghost lines.

Or, any other ideas?