All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 AM

Johny, Rondo asked the same question, and i admit, the pics dont do the part justice. I think you can see best in the photos in the first post. I will be putting a seam where that deep channel is, and I cant see working inside that channel trying to weld and work it for alignment, so I put the buck on the inside of that, being male in that part of the panel. The gentle curve as it comes up and around, I can work inside with no troubles, so that inadverntly turned into the female part of the buck. It was a trade off decision. Believe me, I am a firm believer in male bucks, if for the only reason that it is the way our minds work.

I know what you mean by justifacation, hard to do. Another thing you can do, is if you have a scrap fender or something that you can mid air wireform, you can do the same thing and build your buck to an artists conception. Just start sculpting and welding wire to it, untill it has the feel or flow of what you like. May take a day or two per side, but better than building 4 bucks and getting compounded arror all over the place.

Get a few friends together, have them look at it, and build it, that way while you are doing it you can have different opinions too.

Marty
Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Johnny, the buck doesn't have to cover every point of the fender either. You're pretty darn good with an FSP, just use the buck to make sure your arrangement is right. Find a few good landmarks to base the location off of and hammerform the lip. Does it matter if there is a big section that doesn't touch the buck.......if that part of the fender is shaped the way you want it?

Just my thought on that subject.

Some of the female bucks we pulled off the Willys at Randy's place were pretty heavily overbuilt for something that was going to get rebuilt. I know the arrangement has to stay correct, but, sheesh, we had some time in those puppies!

buckedup.jpg

I kinda had the same idea as Carey for some of the stuff I need to do - bend the rods close and then apply the bondo to the panel and set some rods in place, then just let the goop hold the whole thing together. Obviously not a viable solution if you're gonna hammer on it though.

Tim D.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 AM

The panel edge location is important to me because, well, just because. I want repeatability when makling these parts, and I dont like using a FSP for that unless there is no other choice. So, I built up a good amount of filler on it, and ground down to the edge perpindicular as best I could.

bb17.jpg

Here is one of the holes I am transfering, I just drilled a 1/8" hole in the center, and use a transfer punch to make the mark. I could have threaded a bolt in, or maybe even put a nut into the bondo to install a machinists transfer screw, but that starts making things complicated. I do have the FSP marked for hole locations too, nothing wrong with a lil redundancy.

bb18.jpg

Hopefully here you can see why I made the bucks on the side I did. there are both male and female parts on the same side. I want to seam the narrow flat peaked area, and to try to to that inside such a narrow area would be a pain at best. So, that will be on the outside, and the resulting female part of the buck will be easy to get to, no matter where (or if) I put the second seam.

bb16.jpg

bb19.jpg

Now, off to start making the panels. I have made a couple of dies that do the embossing work around the holes, I will show them in detail when I have the panels completed. That will be one of the last steps.

Marty
Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 AM

Marty, Now that you have perfected this operation you need to come to the Gatormeet and demo it on the pedal car. Bring Dutch with you also. You because your now the Gator appointed expert and Dutch because hes Dutch.

Ya know ya want to...come on, dont be shy. Its only for a couple of days and i have the coffee pot all cleaned up and ready to go..

Later Gator

Rick
Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 PM

I don't think Marty likes coffee??
Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Ill either have to trailer the bike or make dad ride bitch

I will have to double n triple check the dates, Ben is coming here that week, I think. I am trying to talk dad into going, but he is rockin on his 53 so much he would hate to leave it.

Marty
Old 04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Believe me, I am a firm believer in male bucks, if for the only reason that it is the way our minds work. ~ Marty

Marty, absolutely, with male bucks you can lay a partially finished part on them and rock it around and see immediately where you have to raise the metal to make the part fit, with a female buck the part will not even fit in the buck till it’s almost finished. So the difference is being able to get information during the entire shaping operation versus only getting it near the very end. Also I have seen a lot of plywood bucks so over-built that they have very little backside visual access which seems purpose defeating in my book.

Also I saw right away why you made the buck the way you did, the crown / hollow of the panel reverses so it’s impossible to make an entirely male buck. If you’re making a bunch of those parts you might consider making a half buck for the one side so you have male or inside bucks for the entire piece . ~ John Buchtenkirch