All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-22-2020, 12:45 PM

Default Learning opportunity

I spent this week at Wray's class and I thought I'd pass this information out to all the members. This would be a golden opportunity for anyone wanting to really get a great education and be a part of a great project. I really recommend the classes at Proshaper and can't say enough about Wray's ability to teach all aspects of metal shaping. To all the newer members on here who have not heard about Wray, I'd suggest checking out his website as well as his videos on Youtube.

Wray posted this notice below on Facebook a few days ago, I copied and posted it here Bob Foster

Wray Schelin

February 18 at 4:03 PM ·

Conversation:
I posted before that I have been talking with Virgil Exner Jr. several times on the phone. Virgil discovered via a recent Hemmings-online article that I was having my students build a 1948 Studebaker futurecar that his father had designed.
He emailed me a car design of his own that he would like to have built. He would love to build it himself but at 86 he doesn't have the strength or a shop to do it in. He asked me if I would be interested in building it. I suggested that I could have my students build it under my direction.
Idea:
I said to Virgil that his car build could be a great pilot program at my shop which could bring together professional stylists /designers/ patrons with younger students wanting to learn all
of the skill sets needed to scratch-build a car: coachbuilding, welding, fabrication, chassis building, metalshaping, etc.
Plan:
Virgil would supply funds for all of the materials and components ( engine, trans, rear end, metals, hardware,etc.) Virgil would also pay some of the tuition cost of the students that would be selected to work on the car build. The students would attend for 240 hrs all in one go. Ideally two students would work together on the project. I think this could become a great way to breathe new life into the hobby of the art and craftsmanship of the automobile, uniting seasoned older experienced design talent with the youth. Cars that would never have a chance to be built get built and a new younger generation get a fast track education that will serve them for the rest of their lives no matter what profession they pursue later in life.
How to get started:
Preferably if you are 18 to 35 years old- older also considered- and you would love to learn the skill sets that scratch-building a dream car require.
Dream car Dreamers:
This build format is also applicable for any qualified car guy/collector/patron that has the desire and means to have a dream car scratch-built. You can also be a part of the actual build process.
Pictures below:
Virgil Exner Jr. and his drawing of the car he wants built. Also, a picture of Virgil Jr with his winning car design for the Fisher Body Craftsman Guild design competition in1948 when he was13 years old. He was awarded $4000 for his education fund.
Contact: Wray by phone only 508 347 7749 for more information. proshaper.com

Virgil.jpg

side body.jpg

1947-virgilexnerjr.jpg

Little_Virgil_M._Exner_(jr.)__13__Fisher_Body_Craftsman_s_Guild_Finalist__and_the_model_styled_b.jpg

working.jpg

Last edited by galooph; 02-23-2020 at 07:31 AM.