Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-07-2020, 05:58 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Buick Regal?

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 04-07-2020, 06:23 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Coming along nicely Will. Are you assisting with the effort?

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 04-07-2020, 07:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Yes guys, it's a Buick Regal. I think it's a 1982 ?

Kerry: The dinosaur template is a one piece 1/8" thick by about 6"-7" tall aluminum 'template' that is made from a 'stock' car, and fits from right at the front of the nose to just in front of the rear spoiler. We were given a 1/2" maximum tolerance 'anywhere', and depending where you were racing your car and the weight distribution, etc., you would pick which part of the template touched the contour and where it missed. I finally settled in to having it touch at the very rear at the spoiler, and miss at the front of the roof and miss at the front of the nose.

Robert: Prior to them starting the disassembly, I was making a weekly trip to measure and make the aluminum pieces that I have posted pictures of, and did my best to provide part numbers for the paint and serial numbers for the Koni shock absorbers, etc. I did not have a hand in these fenders and quarter panel sheet metal parts as Peggy and I are self-quarantined, but I am hoping that I will at least be able to contribute when it come to the aluminum interior panels, etc., as that was my strong point when I was building these cars. He has asked that I offer my thoughts and opinions as I see fit, but I do not expect him to actually ask for any physical help. He has already restored more than 60 of this type of car, and I do not want to insult him in any way.

Here is another picture that he sent me this afternoon.

Name:  IMG_2415.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  68.2 KB

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-09-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:12 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Man, Will- this is great stuff.

I know you're working on your book/portfolio. Will you be including addtional specific content related to this car's specifics and the restoration now that it's back in circulation?
Old 04-08-2020, 08:42 AM

Cliff: Due to this 'shutdown', I have been getting a lot done on the 'book'. It is my intention is to just write stories about things that I have been involved in with the intent to share with family members that I have not been in touch with for a while, particularly after the accident. So far I have written 71 stories and have identified four more that I am gathering details for. This restoration is being done by a very qualified restorer who does not need my assistance, but he has generously offered to hear any input that I would like to share, so this is not actually a project that I will be actively engaged in, and I am most likely going to be done with my stories before this project is going to be completed.

I had a friend of mine 'transfer' my AutoCAD files that I originally recorded the as yet unpublished vehicle dynamics book, into .pdf format and as soon as I get done with this 'book' thing, I will be reviewing that manual and will probably pursue getting it up to date. I have no idea how to publish any of this, so it probably will stop when I get to that point.

Bob K.: At this time, the intent is to restore it to be my #96 1982 Buick that Elliott Forbes Robinson drove, and will be painted as a Jolly Rancher sponsored car. The owner seems more interested in the particular design of the chassis more than anything else. It'd been interesting, as he 'peels back' the car, to see the brackets, etc. and I can remember what I was thinking about when I made them.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-08-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:57 AM

Ah book with your stories? How many hundred pages is it gonna be? LOL. Is it gonna have the story bout the frys, ketchup, accident and the girl in the party store?
I just had to ask. LOL
Doug
Old 04-08-2020, 10:17 AM

Doug, it will most likely be in there somewhere, but not all the ones that you have heard will be in there. I had to draw a line somewhere.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:02 PM

Yes, Doug, it will be in there at about the midway point. I like that story as well. I was up by that store buying some ammo for the AR a few weeks ago and stopped by that store again, but the daughter was not working at the time. The name of the story is 'Two Rounds with Jim Croce' because I was listening to Jim Croce before I spun the 'vette those two rounds. The joint of that guardrail is still disfigured at the point that the highway department repaired it.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:49 AM

Kerry:

I just ran across these pictures. The long yellow template was referred to a the 'dinosaur' template, and there were several templates for measuring across the car as well.

Name:  Template_NASCAR.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  Tallford10.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 04-13-2020, 08:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Very cool, Will! Fantastic to have such history being restored!